Something is catching my fish!

Reaction score
I've just recently taken over a small (maybe 2000 gallons) pond that my Dad built years ago. It's been neglected for a while except for an occasional pump cleaning but we've always had between 20-30 gold fish (i'm not 100% about that) thrive greatly in it until the last week.
Last Sunday in the later afternoon I found 7 of the largest fish scattered within 15 ft around the pond. They were of course dead but had no visible signs of claw marks, etc. I've recently seen a couple raccoons in my yard & from what I've heard, raccoons catch fish, and then eat them. I chalked it up to I possibly scared the raccoon in the process.
Yesterday I found the last 14 fish scattered around the yard, almost in the same places as the previous fish. These fish were much smaller but I did find one that was missing it's tail fin. Otherwise they were all "unharmed".
Last night I set a trap to see what I could find out. And I caught a possum. From what I hear it's most likely not a possum that's been sport fishing in my pond.. Help! I don't want to give up on the pond but I'm at a lost for words. Thanks.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Welcome to the forum and sorry for your loss. I think you're going to have to net the pond if you want to stop the depredations. Or buy a motion activated sprinkler.

Reaction score
How deep is the pond? I have heard stories of Heron emptying ponds and leaving undamaged fish strewn all over the place just like you mentioned. Not saying that is it but seems probable.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
no signs of preditory activity? no visible marks on fish? could be theyre jumping due to poor water quality from neglect! or maybe some neighborhood delinquents?

Reaction score
Heeey! That just made me think of something! A few years ago, I had a pump go bad and running electrical current thru the water... They were acting VERY strange one day and all of the sudden started swimming really fast and jumping out of the pond! Could it be that?!?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
theres no marks on the fish...if a preditory animal or bird was doing this they'd be eaten, or atleast partially. the fish arent gone, arent eaten, arent even wounded. it would seam, either theyre being netted, or jumping!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
dieselplower said:
Would a Heron always leave marks?
if a heron did it...he would have likely eaten them. they dont normally hunt for sport. they occassionally will chuck larger fish out of the way to hunt smaller ones. but these are goldfish he's talking about..not koi, so its unlikely they were big enough for a heron not to handle eating. they can swallow a 12" fish whole without a whole lot of difficulty.

Reaction score
Cats have been known to catch fish and lay them out "uninjured" on the ground. Cats rarely eat fish, in spite of cartoons, but can see something colorful that darts away as a perfect kitty toy.

Reaction score
Oh yah! My cats LOVE to watch the fish and frogs. Desi my big one, he will perch up on the waterfall and watch for hours. But that is alot of fish to be pulled out if a pond. Have to be a really swift cat :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Herons are supreme fishing machines. They have it down to a art.

Ask a Question