Something is different this year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am not complaining mind you….. but something is different this year. I have the same fish as I have had for 5 years…. Same equipment/filtration. Thinned the plants this spring the same as I always do. I would think with as much rain as we have had, but everything is growing in the pond. This is not a “Bragging Post “…. The plants in my pond are going crazy, I have cattail that are 6’ tall and haven’t even started to put heads on…. Never had any over 4’. Arrow Head plant has gotten so big it has started to droop over the side, going to have to cut the elephant ears back and they haven’t even started putting runners out yet. All the terrestrial gardens are doing great, but nothing any different from any other years.
6A43ABAB-0519-459F-93F6-66ACD9F14669.jpeg
A0264B75-B11A-41CC-94E9-DBEB955BDD33.jpeg
11E0526C-8BFE-4834-918B-BF76B85B3DC6.jpeg
4226DD82-9D95-46A8-ACBD-5DB458A89D53.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I am not complaining mind you….. but something is different this year. I have the same fish as I have had for 5 years…. Same equipment/filtration. Thinned the plants this spring the same as I always do. I would think with as much rain as we have had, but everything is growing in the pond. This is not a “Bragging Post “…. The plants in my pond are going crazy, I have cattail that are 6’ tall and haven’t even started to put heads on…. Never had any over 4’. Arrow Head plant has gotten so big it has started to droop over the side, going to have to cut the elephant ears back and they haven’t even started putting runners out yet. All the terrestrial gardens are doing great, but nothing any different from any other years. View attachment 140078View attachment 140079View attachment 140080View attachment 140081View attachment 140078View attachment 140079View attachment 140080View attachment 140081
maybe you're talking to them too much?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry for the double pictures…. I have never mastered putting pictures on here… LoL
fixed!

My iris have never done as well as they are doing this year, the lilies going crazy, all bog plants huge.
And of course poison ivy it is on steroids. I had to cut a huge vine from one of our trees, clip the vine, spray the lower part with very strong roundup for poison ivy. I am highly allergic to the stuff. Can never touch that tree again even the dead vine will get me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I wonder if the cool spring worked to your advantage, somehow? I feel like my plants have been slow to really get going this year. Or maybe the plants have just reached that size where they are fully mature? Whatever the reason, everything looks fantastic!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our temps have gone from hotter than normal to colder than normal. Record breaking type temps. To dry then wet.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Your plants give your a pond nice tropical look, which I like. I’ve noticed with some plants it can take them a few years to really take off In my ponds. They always Do well mind you, but then all the sudden they just start growing like crazy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@addy1 - In GA, we had warm, then mega cold! Warm again, then cold again. Back and forth. Now we are just hot and humid. The weather has been odd. But having those cool spells when it would normally already be blazing was a treat!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I’ve noticed the same about my pond AND my garden and flowers as well…..maybe the world being quarantined for over a year might have helped? :unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
we had some unusually warm/hot weather early in April and even May; I give credit to that for the nice, earlier-than-usual first water lily blooms. Same with my iris and even the daylilies, which already have buds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Our winter was much warmer than usual. Than Spring was rather chilly. Then we had dry, now we've had damp (not wet, since the major rain systems keep skirting around us, leaving just enough rain in our area to raise the humidity!) Some things are growing like crazy. Others are struggling. But, to be honest, every year is different in the garden (water garden included) I try my best not to fight Mother Nature & just roll with what she dishes out & how my garden responds.
My biggest gripe this year is that my parrots feather (which usually has to be beaten back on a regular basis to keep it from taking over my pond) is struggling to the point of barely living. Not sure what's going on, but I'm just rollin' with the punches here & hoping my plants can do the same.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Our winter was much warmer than usual. Than Spring was rather chilly. Then we had dry, now we've had damp (not wet, since the major rain systems keep skirting around us, leaving just enough rain in our area to raise the humidity!) Some things are growing like crazy. Others are struggling. But, to be honest, every year is different in the garden (water garden included) I try my best not to fight Mother Nature & just roll with what she dishes out & how my garden responds.
My biggest gripe this year is that my parrots feather (which usually has to be beaten back on a regular basis to keep it from taking over my pond) is struggling to the point of barely living. Not sure what's going on, but I'm just rollin' with the punches here & hoping my plants can do the same.
Maybe take a cutting and grow it inside for a bit, just in case! I overwinter this way as parrot's feather is classified as invasive now, in Michigan. Despite I could never get it to survive in the pond once temps hit freezing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Jimmy Gibson Your pond and surrounds are lush and tropical !!!! How are your koi doing ? Mine have not yet spawned this year and I'm keeping my fingers crossed they won't !!!!

Ask a Question