Something is different this year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry for the double pictures…. I have never mastered putting pictures on here… LoL
I think your pond looks really nice. I think it sometimes takes a few years for pond plants to get going really strong. Maybe the roots have to get big enough so if your fish nibble on them it doesn’t hurt them. I had my sedges 10 years before they went crazy and now they are too big for my pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That old garden adage about plants - "The first year they sleep, the second year they creep, the third year they leap" has always been true in my garden and pond. If plants come back the second year I can be pretty confident they will make it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Maybe take a cutting and grow it inside for a bit, just in case! I overwinter this way as parrot's feather is classified as invasive now, in Michigan. Despite I could never get it to survive in the pond once temps hit freezing.
It's still around in a few places, just not growing like crazy the way it normally does. I used to have both kinds, but preferred the red stem variety which is all I have now (removed all the 'regular' parrots feather several years back) I don't know what's going on with it. And I still haven't had a chance to get out & pick up my water hyacinth for this year! Was supposed to go yesterday, but ended up with a very sick, elderly dog to take care of (which obviously was the priority!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
United States
I am not complaining mind you….. but something is different this year. I have the same fish as I have had for 5 years…. Same equipment/filtration. Thinned the plants this spring the same as I always do. I would think with as much rain as we have had, but everything is growing in the pond. This is not a “Bragging Post “…. The plants in my pond are going crazy, I have cattail that are 6’ tall and haven’t even started to put heads on…. Never had any over 4’. Arrow Head plant has gotten so big it has started to droop over the side, going to have to cut the elephant ears back and they haven’t even started putting runners out yet. All the terrestrial gardens are doing great, but nothing any different from any other years. View attachment 140078View attachment 140079View attachment 140080View attachment 140081

I am not complaining mind you….. but something is different this year. I have the same fish as I have had for 5 years…. Same equipment/filtration. Thinned the plants this spring the same as I always do. I would think with as much rain as we have had, but everything is growing in the pond. This is not a “Bragging Post “…. The plants in my pond are going crazy, I have cattail that are 6’ tall and haven’t even started to put heads on…. Never had any over 4’. Arrow Head plant has gotten so big it has started to droop over the side, going to have to cut the elephant ears back and they haven’t even started putting runners out yet. All the terrestrial gardens are doing great, but nothing any different from any other years. View attachment 140078View attachment 140079View attachment 140080View attachment 140081
"Not complaining?" Your pond looks magnificent! Love the above-ground brickwork and tile cap.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
You really have a beautiful pond. Thanks for sharing the pictures - I'm getting good ideas!

Ask a Question