Something to use other than quit batting

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have about 1200 gallon pond 3 feet at the deepest part. 2 waterfalls and a spitter. The small waterfall has it own pump and and filter pad. And the spitter has a pump and filter. 2 koi and 2 goldfish. Filter with uv light. The problem we seem to have is the water does not stay clear. Only way we can get to clear it up is by putting quit batting in the filter but then we have to clean every day. Looking for something we can put in that would take care of the problem and not harm fish. We took the quilt batting out a couple of days ago. Should we just leave go for away awhile and see if it clears up on it's own. And how often should we back wash the filter? And clean the the other filters? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If the quilt batting is clogging quickly anything else you use to filter will do the same thing. There's no harm in leaving it alone - the fish don't mind and you may find it resolves on it's on.

However, a lot depends on what you're trying to clear out of the pond and what the source of that material is. Does it appear to be floating algae? Or some kind of dirt or silt? If you took a glass of the water out of the pond and let it sit, would it settle to the bottom?

If it's floating algae, then you need to address the reason why it's there - too many nutrients in the pond is the easy answer. Could be too many fish, overfeeding, lots of organic matter in the pond (leaves or other debris decaying in the bottom). More plants are the easiest fix for that issue. At 1200 gallons, you may find that two koi are just about your maximum bioload so I wouldn't add any more fish for sure. You can indeed filter out floating algae, but unless you address the cause it will continue to grow. Think of it as a symptom of a problem and not the problem itself. Address the cause and the symptom will resolve on its own.

If the clarity issue is coming from dirt or debris in the pond, then you need to figure out where it's coming from. How old is your pond? Is there an area where dirt can get washed in when it rains for example? New ponds are sometimes full of dirt from the stones or gravel that you used - that will eventually settle in the pond, but if there's something constantly stirring it up, it may take more time.

Just a few thoughts! Share a bit more about your pond and perhaps we can add some more suggestions!

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have had the pond for like three years. We did put water in a jar it seems clear but just debris on bottom of jar.

If the quilt batting is clogging quickly anything else you use to filter will do the same thing. There's no harm in leaving it alone - the fish don't mind and you may find it resolves on it's on.

However, a lot depends on what you're trying to clear out of the pond and what the source of that material is. Does it appear to be floating algae? Or some kind of dirt or silt? If you took a glass of the water out of the pond and let it sit, would it settle to the bottom?

If it's floating algae, then you need to address the reason why it's there - too many nutrients in the pond is the easy answer. Could be too many fish, overfeeding, lots of organic matter in the pond (leaves or other debris decaying in the bottom). More plants are the easiest fix for that issue. At 1200 gallons, you may find that two koi are just about your maximum bioload so I wouldn't add any more fish for sure. You can indeed filter out floating algae, but unless you address the cause it will continue to grow. Think of it as a symptom of a problem and not the problem itself. Address the cause and the symptom will resolve on its own.

If the clarity issue is coming from dirt or debris in the pond, then you need to figure out where it's coming from. How old is your pond? Is there an area where dirt can get washed in when it rains for example? New ponds are sometimes full of dirt from the stones or gravel that you used - that will eventually settle in the pond, but if there's something constantly stirring it up, it may take more time.

Just a few thoughts! Share a bit more about your pond and perhaps we can add some more suggestions!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Someone said about trying these would you recommend any of these. Nature's defense,clarify defense,muck defense and insta fix and activated carbon.

We have had the pond for like three years. We did put water in a jar it seems clear but just debris on bottom of jar.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
For in the filter? Or to use in the pond?

Nature's Defense appears to be a dry bacteria - that won't do a thing for floating debris. Muck defense is similar to other sludge reducers - again, that doesn't appear to be your problem. And I wouldn't trust anything that has "insta" in the name. No pond issue will be fixed instantly.

There has to be some source for the debris or silt or dirt or whatever it is getting into your pond. Otherwise it would be finite and you'd be able to filter it out with quilt batting. Can you post a picture of your pond and also a glass of water with the pond water in it? That might help.

Reaction score
If it's green water, which is algae, the UV light should take care of it. Does your uv bulb need to be replaced? They're only good for a year, but you probably know that. I'd test the water for ammonia and nitrate levels. If they are high, overfeeding could be the cause. If you've had the pond for three years you most likely already know this. If your koi have grown a lot in those three years, they may have maxed out the capacity of your filter system, in which case, a larger pump and filter would be needed to replace your current system. If that's not a viable option, you might consider finding a new home for the koi and going with just goldfish and shubunkins.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We did just change the bulb a couple of weeks ago. The water is not green. Are filter is UltraKlean 3500 and we did upgrade the pump a week ago to Alpine Cyclone Pond Pump (MPN PAL5200).

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are pictures not sure if the water you can see anything. Just some stuff on the bottom. I should of took a picture when the quilt batting was in then a after picture. But I don't have one. When that is in the water is clear and you can see to the bottom. Once you take it out you can't see to the bottom.

For in the filter? Or to use in the pond?

Nature's Defense appears to be a dry bacteria - that won't do a thing for floating debris. Muck defense is similar to other sludge reducers - again, that doesn't appear to be your problem. And I wouldn't trust anything that has "insta" in the name. No pond issue will be fixed instantly.

There has to be some source for the debris or silt or dirt or whatever it is getting into your pond. Otherwise it would be finite and you'd be able to filter it out with quilt batting. Can you post a picture of your pond and also a glass of water with the pond water in it? That might help.

Attachments

• 20190615_054356.jpg
    20190615_054356.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 139
  • 20190615_054522.jpg
    20190615_054522.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 136
  • 20190615_054530.jpg
    20190615_054530.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 155

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Jade- is it possible that when it rains, dirt is getting into the pond? Can't tell by looking at your profile picture but The pictures you posted look like that may be the case. Also, I see you have a piece of driftwood. How long has it been in the pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is possible dirt is getting in from the rain. The driftwood has been in since March. Should we take the driftwood out?
Jade- is it possible that when it rains, dirt is getting into the pond? Can't tell by looking at your profile picture but The pictures you posted look like that may be the case. Also, I see you have a piece of driftwood. How long has it been in the pond?

Attachments

• 20190612_163017.jpg
    20190612_163017.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 131
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is possible dirt is getting in from the rain.

That's my guess. If the quilt batting can filter it out, then it has to be coming from outside the pond. Has this been a pretty consistent problem for the whole time you've had the pond? With two waterfalls on you pond, I can see how it would keep getting stirred up, too. You appear to have a bit of foaming, too, which indicates phosphates from organic material in the pond.

More plants in the pond would help, especially if they are out of the pots. I'm amazed at how much silt and dirt my pond plants gather around themselves - they form their own root balls basically.

Very pretty pond by the way!

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's my guess. If the quilt batting can filter it out, then it has to be coming from outside the pond. Has this been a pretty consistent problem for the whole time you've had the pond? With two waterfalls on you pond, I can see how it would keep getting stirred up, too. You appear to have a bit of foaming, too, which indicates phosphates from organic material in the pond.

Very pretty pond by the way!
Thanks! Yes we were doing the batting last year as well but putting in a crate around the pump in the pond did not have to clean that much. But was very heavy to pull out when you had to. What do you recommend for the phosphate?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So don't use any plant media? Just take out of pot rinse dirt off and put in pond? The plants I have in there now I just keep in the pots and put them in.

Reaction score
I use this before the quilt batting and it works great. It keeps the quilt batting from getting clogged as often since this takes the brunt of the dirt. I put it in the skimmer box which makes it easy to get at.

Ask a Question