JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I went out by my pond today and immediately noticed something different about my orange comet. It didn't look like this yesterday. Many of its scales have a different, lighter color to them, yellowish. Any help would be appreciated. Here are a few photos through a bag.

DSCN5360.jpg

DSCN5361.png

DSCN5366.png

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Could be just changing color or brushed itself up against something possibly due to spawn chasing.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Could be just changing color or brushed itself up against something possibly due to spawn chasing.

Yeah, one of my blue ones was feisty with it today. Should I quarantine it or do something about it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
JB, I don't have anything to add about your orange comet but I wanted to ask is that fish on the left of your avatar a new one?

Do you have any more pictures of it? From what I can see of it I like it :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JB, I don't have anything to add about your orange comet but I wanted to ask is that fish on the left of your avatar a new one? Do you have any more pictures of it? From what I can see of it I like it :)

Yes! its one of my favorites. Here's the pics I've got of it so far...
DSCN5291t.jpg

IMG_0636.png

IMG_0639t.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I tried to edit my original post but it wouldn't let me. I was examining it more and noticed this white film on it too. I quarantined it to be safe and would like to know what I'm dealing with here.
DSCN5372.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
JB my biggest orange females scales look like that after lots of chasing and spawning. From rubbing against the rocks I presume since they are up against them a lot. I need to remove a few rougher rocks. I have not noticed any film though. Of course I'm new to fish keeping so no advise from me, just an observation with my own fish.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My orange guy has had a rough day. He nearly killed himself. I went out and saw him laying on the hot concrete. Thought he was dead. There was no wet spots anywhere. Rushed over and saw he was still gasping for air.. or, uh, water. Put him back in quarantine(this time with cover on). I'm not sure if the film was caused by being on the concrete, because I think I saw it before all that, but would like others to chime in about that film. After that near death experience and anything else that may be wrong with him, I'm monitoring him frequently. I keep calling it a 'he' but have no idea.

Reaction score
Country
United States
over the years I have had a coulpe bettas jump ship and when they did it messed up their slime coat. One of them was "shedding" so much it was coming off in pieces. Im willing to bet thats what your seeing on your goldfish (especially if it was after being out of the water)

Glad you found him in time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
over the years I have had a coulpe bettas jump ship and when they did it messed up their slime coat. One of them was "shedding" so much it was coming off in pieces. Im willing to bet thats what your seeing on your goldfish (especially if it was after being out of the water)

Glad you found him in time
If its during the mating season it my well be a responce to being bashed and battered about , yet it could also indicate a parasite

Dave

Reaction score
Have you tested your water? Goldfish rarely jump out of the pond, but when they do it is often a water quality issue. Shedding slime coat can also indicate something wrong with the water. Any chance anything toxic has gotten into your pond?

It is possible for a fish to flop out during the flashing that occurs during spawning. I never seen it happen, but they sure do splash a lot. If they are spawning, that's probably a female and she has been taking a bit of a beating.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
My orange guy has had a rough day. He nearly killed himself. I went out and saw him laying on the hot concrete. Thought he was dead. There was no wet spots anywhere. Rushed over and saw he was still gasping for air.. or, uh, water. Put him back in quarantine(this time with cover on). I'm not sure if the film was caused by being on the concrete, because I think I saw it before all that, but would like others to chime in about that film. After that near death experience and anything else that may be wrong with him, I'm monitoring him frequently. I keep calling it a 'he' but have no idea.
He tried to kill himself when you took him out of the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A few of my goldfish have some marks on them too. Definitely to spawning in my case. They do get very aggressive. They recall hop about to get out of the shallows back to the pond. Hope your fish are okay. I agree about goldfish jumping out, pretty rare.

Ask a Question