Sonic vole repellent affect on pond fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm having an issue with a mole and at least one vole >:-( I used to have a black snake that hung out in my back yard, but I accidentally scared him off and now the voles are eating my plants again!!

So I'm looking at sticking one of these in next to my pond, which would be centered in the garden:

I have something similar in the house that seems to work well to repel mice, so I figure that this is a relatively pet-safe and humane thing to try.

But the question is, since it's in the ground, would it have any affect on my goldfish in the pond a few feet away? I hate to think that I'm doing something to drive them crazy and not know it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Another solution some use is to bury pottery shards. They are extremely sharp and deter ground burrowing critters.

Reaction score
I wouldn't think there would be any issues since they aren't highly powerful. I'm sure the fish are use to the whirring of the pumps so a bit more background noise shouldn't be an issue.

They just had the story that came out that a majority of "reviews" of products on places like amazon are bogus... done by the company themselves or paid for by the company.... so with that in mind..... read over of of the real reviews of these sonic devices. They have a history of not doing anything.... or minimally only for a short time since the rodents will get use to the sound. The FTC had to go after them for their claims. And for animals like moles/voles/mice which can come and go from a yard all the time... pin pointing it on a device would be hard regardless.

If you don't want to do any lethal trapping... you can make a live mole trap. LIVE MOLE TRAP. You can also put down some grub killer to cut off their food source so that they move on to someone else's yard.... or if you want to stay eco friendly... look into milky spore powder applications for the lawn (though this is more of a longer term fix then quick fix).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh, yeah, @Nevermore44, I know better than to trust reviews :-( But I know that I bought some for inside the house about 10 years ago, and haven't had a mouse in the house since! So it's a small price to pay... and if they don't work then I can always return them.

My back yard is fenced in and I let the dogs out there unsupervised several times a day, so I can't put anything out that could hurt them. I spread Diatomaceous earth for bugs, but the voles are going after my plants! They've eaten the roots of 3 of my hostas down to the point that I'm not sure they'll survive, and now I'm worried about all of the cone flowers and blanket that I planted recently.

@Ronfire, that's a cool idea, but I need to cover about 1/3 of an acre! That's a lot of pottery :-(

Reaction score
hey if it works !!!

I had voles all through my perennial beds years ago... pain in the backside.... but then one year they just disappeared. I had a mole for a year tearing up my lawn. I ended up "catching" him to stop it all.

Since you have pups running around... the live mole trap link now works here: https://www.groworganic.com/organic-gardening/articles/how-to-build-a-live-mole-trap

I would also the try out getting the castor oil repellents that you spray around the yard to see if it works. Fine for the pups... and it's suppose to repel both voles and moles since they don't like the smell (not noticeable to people)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I did some research on castor oil, and you might find this interesting... apparently it makes the vole have diarrhea, and it makes his tunnel so gross that he evacuates! I mean, that's horrible, but if it works...! LOL

I ordered the sonic repellent, I figure it's cheap enough that if it doesn't last then it's not a tragedy. I've had solar lights before that only lasted one season, so I kind of expect the same from these. I've had it out since Tuesday, and so far I haven't seen any moles or voles! And my fish don't seem to care a bit.

Only downside, I have one near my office window and I can hear it in the house! It's WAY louder than I expected. That's the "best" area for it, but I might have to move it in a few weeks anyway.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We have a serious vole problem in our yard. Have tried caster oil, no good. Have a couple of the solar sonic ones, been running 4 years, still have voles. My solar ones give off a high pitched sound. Don't think it would bother fish. Now using poison bait in tunnels and glue traps under totes.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have to much land to worry about them, I invite snakes, hawks and any other predators to snack away. Sure makes a bumpy mower ride when I mow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought ultrasonic repeller to keep the skunk from tearing up my lawn looking for grubs, and to keep the deer from eating my shrubs. So far it works pretty well!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm assuming you've googled and read up on vole removal? Use of capsican, castor oil, etc.? Keep the area clean, mowed and trash removed, and traps and poisons? (suggestions from what little I read out there on Google).

Have you tried, or is it plausible (don't know anything about voles) to try to fumigate them out by using the exhaust and hose from your car or smaller engine like 3 or 4 wheeler or lawn mower? If you can find their current holes or tunnels, the exhaust might be a relatively easy, somewhat humane, maybe, and inexpensive solution?

Just throwing out some suggestions.

Ask a Question