Sorry

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m afraid that I’m not capable of properly caring for a pond ,or any living creature really, so since I moved into my home 4 yrs ago my pond has gone to . Does anyone have any good ideas for something I could turn the unused pond into that will look nice in my yard? Right now it’s just a pile of ugly weeds and green water. Thank you. Sorry if this post is sacrilege.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome!
If a pond isn't really your thing, you may be able to turn it into a native wetland garden.
It depends on the pond's construction and location in your yard.
Post some pictures if you would like us to help with that.
Local horticultural societies usually have some ideas.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
I’m afraid that I’m not capable of properly caring for a pond ,or any living creature really, so since I moved into my home 4 yrs ago my pond has gone to . Does anyone have any good ideas for something I could turn the unused pond into that will look nice in my yard? Right now it’s just a pile of ugly weeds and green water. Thank you. Sorry if this post is sacrilege.
Lol. Your post made me laugh.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Dead Man’s Pond Sorry to hear this but you could turn it into a recirculating pondless water fountain. Something like this. You can DIY or buy a kit.

Pondless-Kit-DIY.jpg

How to site:
https://www.familyhandyman.com/land...how-to-build-a-low-maintenance-water-feature/

Reaction score
Country
United States
The suggestions above are great. What a wonderful 'problem' to have! You have many good choices. Naturally, anything involving water is going to get suggestions on this forum :). Welcome, we are happy to have you as a member.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! we even help those that don't want or have fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Not sacralidge, just learning! Something somewhere went wrong. This is the place to learn. We can help you to learn what went wrong, and how to correct it. Post in your intro about yourself, how much pond experience you’ve got, and what you’d like to achieve with it. If you have health reasons for your idea that you aren’t capable of caring for a pond, then it’s a matter of what you’d like to see there combined with what’s in place. If it’s a concrete/ stone type built pond, then an idea might be a pondless water feature, or you could try to turn it into a wildlife pond. That is one with minimal human intervention, but I’d think you need to clean it, add a small pump and lots of plants. If the pond is the plastic preform or liner, it can be dug up, and filled in.
I started typing this before every one else posted, then got side tracked, forgot to post, and just popped back in to see I hadn’t replied!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
And why do you think you can’t care for a pond? It’s just a matter of knowing your physical limits, and knowledge about ponds. We can help you learn, if it’s a case of lack of knowledge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It looks like you’ve got a nice clump of cattails. Now then, what’s the back story? Did you build it, buy it, find it? And why the belief you can’t do it? If you want to make the pond a success, we can help you. If you want to remove it, that one is a liner, if there are others in the forum around you, they might be interested in any of the pond equipment and plants and such. With a liner, you could drain the pond, remove all stones, plants, liner, etc, and have it filled in. Voila, a nice area for a garden! But, if you want to make a successful pond, you can. My pond last year ( and it will be again this year, just a different part of the yard,) was an above ground pop up Intex pool. Undersized pump, I ended up with pea soup algae water, then I had a massive die off, lost over half my fish, ( I later realized it was due to over drift from crop spray, when it killed most of my cats) but I felt like a failure too. I have two days a week to play catch up on house work, yard work, pond and aquariums, and rest up for another chaotic work week. I didn’t know if I could do it, but by grace, I’m going to try again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Abandon the pumps and junk that just cost bucks to squish water, dot a selection of perty pond plants, iris, waterlily, pickerel, fringe, water hyacinth and enjoy a low tech oasis, for frogs, dragonflies, salamanders, maybe one plump shubunkin.

Chill!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
That pond looks full of potential but hey, if it’s not your thing no big deal. You could fill it in. You could leave it and bog it. With some help here and some sweat, you could have a sweet fish pond.

Ask a Question