SOS... wet snow...trees down...pond buried...powers out for 9 days!

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
Pictures are better than 1,000 words:

DSC02292.jpg

DSC02295.jpg

DSC02296.jpg

DSC02298.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow glad I don't have that ,you are going to be doing a lot of clean up .When I lived in NJ I spent so much time with my snow shovel I told people I was having an Affair with it .Last year I had to take him out and apologize for neglecting him and as him to forgive me .We have not had any bad weather here and had frost this morning ..Thats a big problem for everyone since most trees had there leaves and sap was still in them .Well good luck and at least hope you have electric soon

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Wow, That looks like a white hurricane came through! Now, If you moved down here you could experience the same thing only no snow, add mosquitos! LOL Hope you get power back soon! Then the clean up could begin.

Reaction score
Please keep all that snow well north of Louisiana. The following photos are from my yard in early December 2008. I live 45 miles northwest of New Orleans. Were not supposed to get 8" of snow in four hours.

Snow1.jpg

Snow2.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
When you say your not supposed that means it will happen and remember last winter how many states that said the same thing ,

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
EEEE Chihuahua that's snow alright and I want some too but not just yet thank you very much! How about a delivery of Dec. 24th at around 5pm pacific time,lol!

Reaction score
Johnnie,

That's a pretty mess! When the snow melts, it'll be time for the chainsaw! And I know how miserable it is to be without power. I've never been out for longer than three days (lucky). Cannot imagine nine days.

Hope the pond has survived alright.

Gordy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yucky mess for sure. Where I live, both of my neighbors on either side of me (no other neighbors for a mile) have an automatic propane generator, but it cost them somewhere around $6-8,000! I'm thinking I will tough it out again. I was extremely lucky last year in the ice storm that blew power for 5-10 days in my area, but I only lost it during the night for about 6 or 8 hours. VERY lucky! House got down to 50 degrees, but quickly warmed up when power came back on. Never a good thing to lose power in the winter. In the summer, you can go outside, not so in the winter. I do have aquariums in the house, so figure I'd better get myself a generator on wheels. I do have 2 kerosene heaters, though. :)
Magoo, you have to admit that was a beautiful snow! And, yes, JW, I'd love to predict snow the day before Christmas, and then have it gone by about January 3 or so. LOL No power outages either, thank you very much. But, alas, we have to let Mother Nature decide these things for us.

Reaction score
Yucky mess for sure. Where I live, both of my neighbors on either side of me (no other neighbors for a mile) have an automatic propane generator, but it cost them somewhere around $6-8,000! I'm thinking I will tough it out again. I was extremely lucky last year in the ice storm that blew power for 5-10 days in my area, but I only lost it during the night for about 6 or 8 hours. VERY lucky! House got down to 50 degrees, but quickly warmed up when power came back on. Never a good thing to lose power in the winter. In the summer, you can go outside, not so in the winter. I do have aquariums in the house, so figure I'd better get myself a generator on wheels. I do have 2 kerosene heaters, though. :)
Magoo, you have to admit that was a beautiful snow! And, yes, JW, I'd love to predict snow the day before Christmas, and then have it gone by about January 3 or so. LOL No power outages either, thank you very much. But, alas, we have to let Mother Nature decide these things for us.

Country,

You think quite a bit like me. But, I tell you what... I think I would like to abolish snow and ice and blizzards altogether. I have had to walk home too many times out here in the country where I reside (one of the benefits ??? of living in the country).

I ain't that old, but I am getting too old to walk 1.3 miles home in the middle of a blizzard, at -10°F with 30-40 mph winds, uphill in the dark at 5 a.m., against the wind, and without my hat after working a 12 hour day and without my stocking cap!

My ears were purple and sore and raw for several weeks! The skin even started peeling off like an extreme sunburn.

Snowdrifts 2-3 feet deep on the road are bad enough, but 12-15 foot drifts? There's just no way! I don't have a vehicle that can get throught that!

Gordy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, I agree with you, Gordy. I could not live where the snow drifts were that bad, and the roads were closed because of it. If I don't have a hat, I do NOT go outside in the wind, much less cold. Yikes! I think I would have stayed at work instead. :)

I have a 4WD truck, and have never NOT been able to get to work because of the snow. Now, ice was a different story. I actually made it to work the day of the ice storm, then tried the following day, but it took me 20 minutes to go 2 miles and decided not worth it. I don't mind taking on the country roads, where I'm usually the only vehicle, but when I get to the blacktop, highway and interstate, and others think it's a walk in the park and drive like bats out of he**, then it's best I stay at home.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Snow here is like an anomaly so a lot of us like it.........lots don't tho especially when it comes w/ the strong winds and power outages and downed trees. I'm one of those who like it and put on my cross country skis and roam around the neighborhood. Had a bad one a few yrs ago that piled up snow and broke limbs and squished things that weren't strong enough to hold the weight. Eerie to be out walking at dusk and everything is so quiet and then you hear cracking and smashing tree limbs every so often. Had to turn back once as it scared the bee jeebies outta me!

SnowShovel12-1.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The worst snow I was through was in NJ and was half way up my first story windows and my house was 4 feet off the ground .Could not get the storm doors open and had to crawl out a second story window and shovel my way off the roof to the deck and shovel the snow from in front of the doors just so I could leave the dogs out to go to the bathroom .That was the year we had the back to back blizzards ,never want to see that again .We had a alley across our deck .But have to agree ice is the worst brings down everything

Ask a Question