Spare pump and bio-filter

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have several pumps running 24/7 and several backups. I am also getting a backup generator for the possiblity of a power outage that lasts over more than an hour.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
Well technically I have a backup pump because my friend just gave me a pump he didn't want anymore.
Waterfalls034.jpg

However I think this pump is too powerful for my little pond. The stats read the same as the high power on the pump I am using. But, I had to use the low power setting on my pump because it was moving intirely to much water. Probably save this pump for a larger pond I will build when I have more property.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have spare water pump, and I have also came to the conclusion that I need to expand on my filtration system. I like having spare parts just case something stops working.

My pump, prefilter, and bio-filter are all in a twenty gallon tub. My pond is 365 gallons. Every time I change the prefilter I have to disturb my boi-filter. I my be a slow learner, but thanks to all of you fellow ponders I have finally picked up on the fact that I built my home made filter wrong. I will be connecting a separate bio filter (skippy type) to the existing filter tub.

Reaction score
Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines
BBK said:
I keep a spare pump just in case.

Why are you asking?

Yesterday was a Disaster!! When My filter bogged down in the middle of the night (overflowed which almost drained my pond of water), I decided to turn-off the pump, and fix the damn thing (filter) early in the coming morning. I was so sleepy that I didn't even bother to refill my pond! Well, when I woke up, 12 koi's are belly-up, and a majority of them were my prized babies!!! In contemplation, I realized the necessity of a spare pump and filter. But the "cheapskate" side of me prevents me from acquiring the spares. I have to convince myself first that others are doing the same, lol! Anyway, if I only had a spare filter on hand, then I could just have substituted it with the broken one then and there. :grumble:
To DrCase, = I now realize the importance of the BALL-VALVE DRAIN!! I'll add that to my new filter!!

Reaction score
DrDave said:
the need for a large dump valve in the bottom

Ok, wait. What?

"Keep preaching" means I should be able to find other conversations about that elsewhere, but in case I don't (I'll go check now) then, would you mind repeating yourself just once more?

Is there something I should be planning to do that I haven't... yet planned to do? :eek2:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
This forum has a search engine built in. If you want to find old posts type in "Dump Valve" or any other subject and you will likely get hundreds of hits.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I keep a extra pump on hand just in case,,,
when i do have something go wrong, like pumping my water out,,,I turn the hose on right then .

Reaction score
Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines
DrCase said:
I keep a extra pump on hand just in case,,,
when i do have something go wrong, like pumping my water out,,,I turn the hose on right then .

The spare pump and stand-by filter are now my priority. The mess I got into is depressing, but it was a big lesson for me. My fish are now back to being spooked (could it be due to the stress from the bogged down filter?) and I'm trying to re-acquaint them again to the pellets. Well, gotta go on forward. :)

Reaction score
DrDave said:
This forum has a search engine built in. If you want to find old posts type in "Dump Valve" or any other subject and you will likely get hundreds of hits.

That's the problem. I tried that and it brought up so many that I read for way longer than I had time to trying to find one actually specifically talking about dump valves. Never ended up hitting the right thread...

Ah well. I tried. If you get bored and want to run through the short version again, let me know.
:icon_mrgreen:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The dump valve is the 2" ball valve on the bottom of the drum or stock tank,
when it comes time to clean the filter all you need to do is open the valve, and dump the water out of the drum and it will flush out all the goo trapped in the bottom of the drum....shut the valve and your done

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
DrCase is right! It is the equivalent of flushing your toilet. And the reason you found so many, is that this question keeps getting asked over and over again.
However, I applaud your effort and wish everyone made at least one attempt at the search engine.

We are here to help, at times it gets a little challenging with some of the repetition.

Thank you for your patience and understanding my lack therof.

Ask a Question