Sparky’s Pond Build.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Sparky You think you will add a "bog box" (like @Panzer13 has recently done) to your setup eventually? The plants do a wonderful job filtering out waste byproducts and they look pretty cool as well! This is what mine looked like last year and I can already tell the plants are going to get just as big if not bigger this year!

IMG_1637.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Wow! That is a great looking bog box Sawninfirmary, mine is tiney compared to that. What plants do you have growing in it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am somewhat limited to what plants I can get here in Texas, but I have used Water Hyssop (Bacopa Monnieri) and Parrot's Feather with a lot of success. I have been tempted to try other plants but I like the mounding/trailing look that these plants give the box. I am thinking about upgrading my bog eventually and running PVC under the gravel because at the moment my water is just pumped up to the box with flexible tubing and then it fills up and overflows back to the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I am somewhat limited to what plants I can get here in Texas, but I have used Water Hyssop (Bacopa Monnieri) and Parrot's Feather with a lot of success. I have been tempted to try other plants but I like the mounding/trailing look that these plants give the box. I am thinking about upgrading my bog eventually and running PVC under the gravel because at the moment my water is just pumped up to the box with flexible tubing and then it fills up and overflows back to the pond.
That is exactly my plan as you have done. Note the flex leaving the wall above the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome. Looks like it will be a nice build. Love the DIY trickle filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I found a really good article on line of how to build a bog. http://nelsonwatergardens.com/gravel-bog-filter-construction/
I am not sure how much experience you have working with PVC pipe? But it is pretty easy and cheap. You just need a hand saw and some PVC glue.
The projects never end. I just bot a Pond Master prefilter box and dedicated in line pump to run my little creek. The pump I had didn't have enough power to run it and the bog box.
Do you run your bog box year round or do you shut it off in winter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I run my filter, aeration kit, and bog box year round. This last year my plants didn’t do so hot in the winter so I might have to winter them inside or cover the bog somehow to try to keep it from freezing over too much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I run my filter, aeration kit, and bog box year round. This last year my plants didn’t do so hot in the winter so I might have to winter them inside or cover the bog somehow to try to keep it from freezing over too much.
May you could put some sort of greenhouse cover over it.
I am pretty sure my calla lilies won't make it through the winter, but the creeping jenny might. I hope that my irises will do well enough that I can transplant some of them in the bog box.
Have you considered iris in you're bog? They are fairly indestructible when established. Of coarse I really only have experience with regular iris, not the type that like to have their "feet wet".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Creeping jenny has no problem coming back here, either in pond, bog or on land. Same with the iris.
Thanks addy1. I this case my creeping jenny should be fine as I am pretty sure Maryland gets colder than us here in Washington.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes Creeping Jenny will be your friend for life here :smuggrin:
It likes to creep everywhere so I try to keep mine contained to the pond area. It will try to grow out into my grass but it's easy to pull out unless you ignore it and let it go nuts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Yes Creeping Jenny will be your friend for life here :smuggrin:
It likes to creep everywhere so I try to keep mine contained to the pond area. It will try to grow out into my grass but it's easy to pull out unless you ignore it and let it go nuts.
Thanks j.w. The plan is to have it spill over the sides of the bog box. Hopefully it helps to hide an ugly supply line or two as well. It should be easy to controls as their is no dirt nearby, just deck and stone patio.
Funny I made my yard low maintenance as possible then I go and put in a fish pond. Sometime I question my sanity.:cautious:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Panzer13 I stopped questioning mine long ago
upload_2018-5-15_10-56-57.gif

The Creeping Jenny should fill in nicely and hide your line. I just had to cut mine today as it was creeping over onto the walkway. I'm letting it grow to under my Japanese Maple by the pond. I'll really have to keep an eye on it tho as it is really sneaky :cautious:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
@Panzer13 I stopped questioning mine long ago View attachment 110781

The Creeping Jenny should fill in nicely and hide your line. I just had to cut mine today as it was creeping over onto the walkway. I'm letting it grow to under my Japanese Maple by the pond. I'll really have to keep an eye on it tho as it is really sneaky :cautious:
I bought three small plants from a local box store, so I may have overdone it again. But I picked up some old school shears at a garage sale last year, the creeping jenny should be no match for those.:ninja:

Ask a Question