spawning area

Reaction score
Hi, my name is didiok. Our area in western OK is in an extreme drought. I can only enjoy my pond in the early morning hours or in the evening hours. The excessive heat and sun has caused me to install a uv light this year. Actually mt husband did. I am interested in knowing how to create an artifical spawning area for the fish to spawn in. They are using my pots of Parrots Feather and grasses, and just about anything they can get into near the surface of the water. They have uprooted 2-3 pots of moss, knocking out the pebbles and the plants. Any ideas?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
For spawning all you need is a new cloth string mop. Rinse very well and hang it in the pond. Some remove the handle, others shorten them but leave some for having something to hang them in the wtaer with. Koi and Goldfish scatter their eggs. they don't build nest. the reason the koi go to the Parrots feather and lilies are the roots. this is where the eggs stick and have the best chance of not being eaten. the mop appears to be roots for the koi and they will use them as well. then once they have spawned you can take to another place for the eggs to hatch and raise the fry.

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
I built mine out of yarn. purchased the yarn at the thrift store. cut in 3 foot length and tied to a tube. It hangs just off the side, water level. hope this helps
IMG_20120710_190156.jpg

Ask a Question