Spawning Frogs!

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi everyone. This is the first spring with my pond and I’ve finally spotted some exciting frog activity. There are three separate groups of frogs spawning throughout the pond and I was able to photograph one large group. I counted 7 frogs clustered here. Amazing! It’s exciting to witness nature. I took a video (YouTube link below) and some photos

Video of Spawning

6DC65755-C29D-42A0-A76F-E45C7D8E2557.jpeg

7CB0C4C8-FB74-40ED-BA25-7D73479FAD56.jpeg

49A67B1D-F14E-47CA-BCB6-7B523CD82F6B.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
And soon you'll have tons of tadpoles to watch as they grow & turn into frogs!

Cant wait! I’m guessing only a few (counted on one hand) survive that long? I’ve already seen some fish attempting to have lunch at the egg buffet!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My fish seem to like to eat some of the different types of frog eggs, and leave others completely alone. We have an upper pool that is fish-free, so sometimes I move egg batches up there to keep them safe from hungry fish. (yes, I'm a total sucker when it comes to my resident frogs! lol)

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
My fish seem to like to eat some of the different types of frog eggs, and leave others completely alone. We have an upper pool that is fish-free, so sometimes I move egg batches up there to keep them safe from hungry fish. (yes, I'm a total sucker when it comes to my resident frogs! lol)
Do the eggs float to the surface at some point? I was thinking of moving them to a shelf with a little more protection from the fish. Maybe nestled among some plants.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They just sort of stay in the gel. If you go to move it try a large jar and try to suck in the gel mass without touching it.

Neat looking frogs!

I spotted some frog spawn in my big pond, surprised me, they usually stay out of it due to the fish. May have been some of the tree frogs they lay first.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Do the eggs float to the surface at some point? I was thinking of moving them to a shelf with a little more protection from the fish. Maybe nestled among some plants.
You might find they are sort of attached to the foliage down around the egg globs. The earlier you move them the better they stay together in the ball. I either use a little net to scoop mine, or (more typically) I just scoop them up by hand for relocation. If they're anchored to the plant stems, you might have to cut or pull a bit of that to go along with them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They just sort of stay in the gel. If you go to move it try a large jar and try to suck in the gel mass without touching it.

Neat looking frogs!

I spotted some frog spawn in my big pond, surprised me, they usually stay out of it due to the fish. May have been some of the tree frogs they lay first.
What kind of tree frogs do you have? The ones around here don't show up until well into Summer. So far I've had wood frogs, toads & pickerel frogs do their spawning. Green, Bull & Tree frogs don't get going until a bit later.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They may not be "tree" frogs, just what I call them, they come out of our woods, some call them spring peepers. They are loud and grayish in color.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen both of these Spring peeper and chorus frog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They may not be "tree" frogs, just what I call them, they come out of our woods, some call them spring peepers. They are loud and grayish in color.
Oh I love Spring Peepers! And, yes, they are a type of tree frog. They're pretty much the only type of frog we don't have spawning in our pond. They are generally in our area, but just haven't discovered us, I guess. Last year we had one that really tried to attract a girlfriend, but I guess our pond was a bust because he finally left & hasn't been back again this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That Chorus frog is cute! I think we're a little too high in elevation to have them here. Here's our one poor lonely Tom (Peeping Tom) from last April -
peeper 01.jpg
We found him on our sliding glass door one night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great pics of your frogs! I wish I had some green frogs again .... hint hint hint to someone on GPF. I just heard a long feature about frogs in the rainforests in the Amazon. Global warming is making it rain more in parts of the rainforests and the frogs that live in the mountains aren’t getting enough sun. The rain clouds there are blocking the sun and the frogs are getting sick from infections that the sun would have normally cured.

Ask a Question