spawning/fry

Reaction score
:)
OK so i got some koi last summer, so they are probally a year old and i ws wondering how old they have to be to lay eggs/mate. I built those spawning mops just now that i saw in the DIY section so im wondering if i have to wait a year before they can have fry thanks so much,

:p~Marino~:rolleyes:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
12" - 15" is when koi first become sexually active..........atleast that has been my observation!
goldfish will start spawning at 1 year old.

Reaction score
I have had Koi spawn as small as 7-8" as a female. Their eggs are not fully matured for the age. Many times they are not viable or the fry are not strong enough to survive. You need to make sure you are ready for babues first. Most people have no clue how much of your time and money it can consume raising babies to adulthood. Spare tanks with filtration systems, baby food for each step of the way (Raising your own is cheaper, buying is easier but more expensive), multiple feedings each day. Plus much more.
Don't get me wrong. Raising baby koi from eggs is fun, exciting and rewarding. But it is a chore!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I feed my fry first bites out of a bag for a while and then start mashing high growth food for the rest of the season, I feed them 4 or 5 times a day.......
it works for me

Reaction score
Take a look at the Sticky topic at the top of this thread. Very good suggestions there. Daphnia is another good food to raise after a couple of weeks. Clean, green water is also excellent. Lots of algae for them to eat on will make there bellies happy!

Ask a Question