Spawning Goldfish (2nd Year)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So finished building the main parts of my pond late last year. This year, I'm working on finishing up the landscaping around it and cleaning up the liner areas.

The pond is about 11K gallons with the deepest part just over 4' in the middle section. It is used for irrigation and collecting rain water.

So last summer after I had everything going, I bought fish to put in so I can keep bugs/mosquitos at bay. Plus the kids love to watch the fish and frogs.

* I bought 3 Koi which have become noticeably larger in one year.
* I bought 3 Shubunkin which are doing great as well.
* I bought 4 dozen rosy red minnows. These have spawned a different times late last year. They escaped up into the bog filter's deeper spot when water levels were high enough and had some survivors. If I had to put a count on them, I see maybe 15-20 smaller ones this spring hanging around each other. I did loose some of the adults though, so we will see how that balances out.
* I bought 5 feeder goldfish and this is where the problem lies.

The goldfish babies I didn't notice at first. From what I read, they are a darker color for their first year or so. So unlke the 'POP' of color the minnows have even as babies that stood out, the goldfish babies blended in. So I was out cleaning some things up, trying to get things balanced in the pond and noticed a lot of dark goldfish shaped fish. A few oddly enough have the black/white markings like one of my Kois have but I think that is coincidence. Pretty sure they are all goldfish.

If I had to put a number on them... I counted probably 30 just in the one area by the 'intake bay' I was removing yesterday. Then as I was leveling dirt in that area with the tractor, I saw the 5 goldfish chasing each other in the algae and dipping sideways a bit with each other. Assuming they are spawning again.

So my question is... what should I do to keep them in check? I read stories about it getting out of control. With probably 30 (if not more) already and perhaps another batch coming... I need to start thinking ahead. The Koi and other larger goldfish are not keeping the babies in check. Not sure if Minnows should be eating the babies either, but they are not doing a good enough job.

I'm still thinking of my original plan, going back to getting a large mouth bass but a smaller one that will not eat my bigger fish (Shubunkins and Koi). I feel like it would eat up the baby fish unlike the other fish. They are a predatory fish and will DIRECTLY go after them. I'm not sure how fast they grow though and will have to watch it. Is this something I would have to remove at the end of the year? Then basically next year, get another small one? Is this a dangerous idea?

Anything else I can get that will directly target the smaller babies to reduce their numbers significantly to keep things in check? I didn't loose any fish really other then some of the minnows. I'm afraid this population is just going to get out of control.

My wife said catch them and sell them as feeder goldfish. Which may work but to catch enough to sell as feeders is going to be tricky.

So just looking for any ideas to get at this early so I don't have a huge problem ahead.

I tried showing a sexual education video like we had in school about safe sex, but that didn't work. I tried purity rings but they have 'already been down that path'. Maybe it'll work with the younger ones. It may be my neighbor back there playing Kenny G in the backyard... not sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could use spawning mops that the fish will deposit eggs onto. They are easy to make and there are directions online.

I tied then to a piece of parachute cord that ran across the width of the pond so that the entire mops were in the water, the tops of them just at the surface.

I took them out after the fish had used them and allowed the eggs to dry when they could be used again. I replaced them with others for the next round.

All the eggs won't end up in the mops, but it definitely reduces the number. The others were usually eaten by the other fish. But there were usually one or two little ones that survived each year, so it's not fool proof.

My fish population has now reached the point that no eggs have survived for the last couple of years so I no longer need the mops.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All you need is a invasion of snakes over 200 fish gone in one season.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most of the babies will not survive to adulthood. Wait til they are bigger and you can sell or give some away if there are still too many.

If some of little ones are the color of the koi, I am guessing they are baby koi or koi goldfish crosses.

Both koi and goldfish can really change color as they grow. Especially the first few years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have read where some put in a bluegill...That seems to keep the new numbers down..I was thinking of it since it is SO hard to catch my fish but since researching it I haven't had any new fry so I put the idea on hold for now....I have about 25 shubunkin goldfish in about 900 gallons so I am right at the tipping point....

Ask a Question