Spawning injury

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Not my Koi, but my Shubunkin. She really got her skin tore up. Should I leave her in the pond? I did a water change last month. I don't know if she would be better off left alone or maybe putting her in my aquarium to see if that will make her heal faster. She's acting okay and eating. A big chunk of skin is hanging off her back.

Reaction score
Tough call. I personally would leave her in the pond if she's eating. The stress of netting her and relocating could actually make things worse. Watch for any sign of infection, "fuzz" growing on the wound, or red fins by the wound. You can switch to a medicated food if she shows signs of infection.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have had a few get beaten up, just left them in the pond and they healed just fine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Water changes are a good idea. Certainly can't hurt.

I would get some medicated food to have on hand just in case. That way if things get bad you won't have to wait on starting with the medication.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yes, the spawning is over. Afterwards, she was in a spot not moving. She was there for about an hour than started swimming again. We are in the middle of rain storms now. I will do a water change when we get a dry day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If you have her indoors put her then you can keep an eye on the wound namely for any signes of infection .
What should normally happen the skin will necrify then die and should then fall off, I would then suggest you put your goldfish under for a while using oil of cloves as an anesthetic.
Then using a soft tooth brush rub away any loss skin until you cause the wound to bleed, next paint her wound first with malachite green and then paint over that with Propolis which you can buy along with oil of cloves at your local health food stores in the US in both liquid and spray form propolis wise.
Propolis is a powerful antitoxident and contains bioflavodes that will help your goldfish heal and is the main reason why bee hives remain disease free.
It is acctually a bi-product of the bees that bee keepers collect for resale as propolis

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This is what she looks like today. The skin fell off. There are no signs of green fuzzies on it. She is swimming and eating good. She is still in the pond. The weather has been chilly here and the pond temp went down to 55*, I don't know if that helped or not. The spot on her side is hard to see, but it's not as big as the one on top.

Reaction score
Wow! That's a big spot on top! Poor fish.

Dave, whoa! That's a bit intense! Hope I never have to do that! Oil of clove ..... interesting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Might be a bit intense Priscilla but something that sized needs to be kept an eye on imagine if I stripped the skin off your back ok , so what would happen to you ?
Youd most probably get an infection and die yes?
Well this goldfish has taken a huge piece of skin off of its back with the mucus membrane with it thus leaving this poor guy open to all sorts of infections which in reality need's to be looked at and monitored by the owner of the fish until such time the wound heals .
Here in the UK by law as koi/fish owners we have a duty of care for our pets and if we fail in that plus someone reports us to the RSPCA then we could if we havent given aid end up in court with a fine or prison sentence.
This is why we brits are so hot on health issues koi wise.

Dave

Reaction score
I don't disagree with you. I'm just squeamish about things like this. I think its great you have all the information and share it. I just literally don't know if I could do it without passing out.

Ask a Question