Spawning troubles?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
So I have a fish I call Mr. Beefy. I think he is a she. For the last week, I'd been noticing him/her hanging out over in the shallow areas with lots and lots of plants. As the days went on, it seemed like the other fish were agitating her. Then I noticed two raised bumps near the tail -- almost like pimples. I wondered if maybe she irritated her scales when she was thrashing around and stuck in the plant pots.

Today, I saw all the other fish chasing her around mercilessly. She was so exhausted, they were almost bopping her around like a soccer ball. Everywhere she went to hide, they followed and swarmed on her. I got a big empty lily pot and put some water celery and pond water in it, then caught her in the net to give her a break. She was happy there for a while, just resting. I noticed her exploring around the pot a bit more shortly after, so I went to do some yard work, feeling good about my harassment intervention. Ha ha. Then things took a turn for the worse when I went back to look at her and she was OUT OF THE POT, lying in the rocks!!!! Dang thing jumped out!!!!! I hollered and put her back. She seemed a little shaken by the whole near-death experience but fine. I put a net over the top and worked for another half hour or so. Since I couldn't leave her in the pot unattended, overnight, I carefully and sneakily put her back in an out of the way place. The other fish didn't seem to notice.

I just checked on them. It doesn't seem like they are chasing her right now, and she came right over to the side with everyone else when I was out there. She's swimming and acting fine right now, but she looks rough. Her scales look dull and abraded - maybe from the rough treatment? I hope this is indeed a spawning situation and NOT that the fish were beating her up because she is diseased. I wonder about the two little pimple bumps. What do you guys think? Anyone experienced in the ways of goldfish courtship?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've had my female koi get banged up. I just keep a close eye on them and test my water quality ( especially ammonia ) ......they've always recovered.

Ask a Question