Spawning

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have noticed my largest koi chasing each other for a few days now. I also noticed my filter is needing changed more than usuall from them sturing things up. I have a felling they are spawning. No visuall of this yet but it could already be over. Just hope some make it so i can see them. Has anyone lost any fish after the spawn?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never lost a goldfish or shubbie from spawning. They do exhaust the female chasing it.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That's all normal and this is the perfect time of the year for spawning. Unless you remove the eggs or fry, chances are you probably won't see babies. Very few koi fry make it naturally in a clear pond. It happens but rarely. As for the female being chased, she can get exhausted, if you see she has scrapes or appears to be extremely stressed she may need to be isolated and given a week or so to regain stength. It is possible to lose a female koi during this time but they are also tough fish. Many make it through the spawn without any noticable stress related problems.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
.icsd71 how big are your koi? if theyre not 10" or larger theyre not likely of age for spawning. but that doesnt mean they cant practice.... they may go thru the motions before reaching sexual maturity. i will say, morning hours are the peak of spawning activity. especially from just before dawn til maybe 9:00am. thats the time to watch em if your really curious!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have raised fresh water Tropical fish of several species for years. It was not uncommon to lose a female do to the chasing from the males. Plus most of the fish were live bearing mothers which is a little harder to. Just curious as if this happened to koi. My fish are not yet 10 inches. But they sure are 7 to 8 inches and going crazy still!

Ask a Question