Spider Bite (Caution, graphic pics!)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Some of you that are regulars may have noticed I haven't been posting as much lately. Some of you know what has happened others may not. Two weeks ago I was pressure washing the house. Something bit my arm and I thought it was a wasp. well by that evening the bite had a blister and I was starting to swell up, By the next morning I looked like a walking water balloon. I went to the hospital and the treatments started. twice a day every day for the first full week. Then last weekend the swelling had gone down but the infection and rotting started, the Dr.s had to cut out a good size chunk out of my arm and cauterize the area. Well today they finally told me that it looks like it is massively improving. They don't know what kind of insect it was and think it was a spider but not a brown recluse. That's the good news. I didn't know that they have to treat a bite as a general insect bite until they know for sure exactly what has done the biting. Without the insect they can't start right away treating for a brown recluse or brown/black widow bite as the poison is quit different between them and if given the wrong antidote it can cause more problems than the bite itself.
So for those of you that are out in the yard if you get bit and there is noticeable swelling, things that are good to know, 1st if you get bit and you can find the insect that bit you, collect it and save it! 2nd, get out of the heat, heat makes you sweat and the sweat transfers the poison faster to other parts of your body, third if the spot does not improve within a couple of hours seek medical assistance! I didn't think about it but if your bitten by a wasp, bee, spider, scorpion, etc. In most cases the spot and swelling should go back down after a couple of hours UNLESS you have a reaction to the poison, If you have a reaction the faster you seek assistance the more likely they can do something for you. I waited so long that they could only treat the bite with antibiotics, steroids, and antinflammitory medications and therefore had to have the hole and bite cut out of my arm. It's still very sore but tremendously better now, even though it doesn't look like it is.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, Larkin, Hope you're good as new soon. And watch out for :spider: ! John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh my gosh Larkin that is horrible looking. I'm sorry that you had to go through all of what you did. I guess now you know the routine if it ever happens again and thank you for letting all of us know what to do.
We are quite fortunate here that we don't have any poisonous creatures this side of our mountains but then I guess one never knows even it it isn't poisonous what kind of reaction one would have even so.
Hope you heal up quickly and all goes well for you. What would happen if a person didn't go in for treatment at all?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The infection will keep spreading jw, if a brown recluse you flesh will rot and keep rotting. If it is a bad cellulitis you can actually get blood poisoning.
Nothing to play with

Sorry to hear fishin, take care of that and get well

36.gif

Hang in there
frog3698.gif

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It's much better today, the redness is light and there is no infection today, They have to clean it daily but once a day now instead of twice. JW, I can assure you, you would get attention! By the first 24 hours, I couldn't move, I hurt like someone had beaten me with a bat, my arm burned like a hot skillet and seriously I looked like a water balloon, It scared the mess out of me! From what I'm told it could have been a reaction to a far less poisonus species and the reaction may not have gotten that bad if I had gotten treatment right away.Addy is correct, With a recluse or widow The skin and tissue rots away, Mine was not so much rotting but the infection made a hole and it was starting to spread. They cut all the bad tissue out and then burned it. It's a little bigger than a dime in size now, at one point it as as large or larger than a nickel.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze sorry larkin and yep spiders are bad .We never saw many bad ones back in NJ but the farther south you go they get worse .Hope you are and will get better Larkin .I have seen more spiders this year than ever and you would think after the bad winter there would be less .The local news has even been warning people about spider bites .What gets me is they bite for no reason .I have been spraying around my house because I have seen a lot of them .Sorry spiders but it's you or me and I prefer me Take care and get better

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I was pressure washing and had to have been at least 5-6 feet away from anything. I have no clue where it came from or what it was, all I felt was a sharp sting like a wasp or bee. Never saw anything at all. I get stung once or twice yearly in the back yard and never thought much about it until the next day!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
We have so many black widows in our yard, I can pick up any rock or brick and there will be at least 1 there. Never been bit, I guess I'm lucky.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
we have a few black widows and like you said they usually don't do anything if you just leave them alone, The Dr.s said they are getting more and more reports of Brown widow bites. Just a few years ago they didn't even know about them and now they seem to be getting more and more common, They are far more agressive than the the black widow but not quite as bad with the poison. But just slightly.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have tons of spiders, have not seen any widows, not like arizona where they where everywhere. We have a lot of wolf spiders which are good hunters. Any time I am out working where there might be a spider, have the gloves long sleeve shirt on. I react bad to ant bites, wasps, bees, so am sure will react bad to spider bites.

Ask a Question