Spill stone

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hi gang! I worked outside for a long time today. Other than mashing my finger with a rock, I survived it! Yay!

I was very happy to find a good rock as my spillway stone. It is about 7/8 of an inch thick and has a nice texture and cut. I had to shorten it a bit with a hammer and chisel. I managed, but it was difficult. It didn't chip easily at all.

So -- here is the question. Part of the reason the rock is so pretty is that it has some mica in it. It is hard and pretty heavy and was hard to chip. But -- is the constant flow of water over a rock like that going to make it disintegrate? What do you think?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi gang! I worked outside for a long time today. Other than mashing my finger with a rock, I survived it! Yay!

I was very happy to find a good rock as my spillway stone. It is about 7/8 of an inch thick and has a nice texture and cut. I had to shorten it a bit with a hammer and chisel. I managed, but it was difficult. It didn't chip easily at all.

So -- here is the question. Part of the reason the rock is so pretty is that it has some mica in it. It is hard and pretty heavy and was hard to chip. But -- is the constant flow of water over a rock like that going to make it disintegrate? What do you think?

Probably not, but you will not really be able to visually enjoy the texture of the rock.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here are a couple of pictures:

Attachments

• spillstone 2.jpg
    spillstone 2.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 243
  • spillstone 1.jpg
    spillstone 1.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 281
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
That is going to be very, very nice. Based on what I can see in the photos, I love your rock placement.
More photos, please!
Wow -- I really am flattered! High praise coming from a pond expert! Thank you!!!!!! :happy:
Of course -- it took me about 3 hours just to figure out how to do that spillway area. It is starting to come together!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Thanks, all! This is my first try with building a pond, so it is all trial and error. Without having done it before, it is hard to look at a hole and a dirt pile and envision the final product. Thank goodness for youtube and for all the help on here!!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have no clue why rocks attack your fingers but they need to be banned from doing that :);)
I was trying to "bang" a big rock down into the dirt -- sort of using the rock to tamp the dirt into a firm base. I shifted over just a quarter of an inch and mashed it right on another rock. A finger and rock sandwich. It's a little purple, but fine. I have to get back out and work tomorrow!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You obviously possess that rare ability to mentally visualize things enabling you to execute a project using that mental template. Not many have this ability.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Maybe a little. It has been more a matter of putting a rock in place, then standing back and saying a few bad words -- then picking up the rock and putting it back in the pile. Repeat!!!! Many times. (This one is too short. That one is too tall. Too wide. Too heavy on one side. Etc.) I spent the better part of my time today standing in the yard and feeling like I wanted to whine. Loudly. (If a woman whines in her yard and there is no one there to hear it -- does she really make a sound?)
Really though, Eric Triplett - The Pond Digger -- has some videos that are so good. If not for them, I wouldn't have known where to begin. There's another one by the Aquascape people -- doing a double waterfall and stream -- that helped a lot, too.
I am doing my best to tamp dirt down and keep everything well supported and sturdy. I think that will be key in keeping it all stable. Lots of back filling with dirt and gravel. Fingers crossed!!!!! Again -- thanks to you all for the compliments!
I think I will go ahead and use that stone and hope for the best.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
YouTube is the best thing to happen on the internet, honestly. (Well, next this forum, that is!) We watched so many videos before we ever picked up a shovel. There are some really simple principles that go into making a pond look good - we just needed to see it broken down to understand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
YouTube is the best thing to happen on the internet, honestly. (Well, next this forum, that is!) We watched so many videos before we ever picked up a shovel. There are some really simple principles that go into making a pond look good - we just needed to see it broken down to understand.
Yes!!!!!

Ask a Question