Spillway and pump question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
IMG_2994.JPG
hello
Hoping I can get some help on correct spillway and pump for a pondless waterfall
I would like to create a waterfall that I can create class 5 rapids. Haha. Seriously I would like the ability to have a good amount of water flow but also slow it down at night so I think I would like to use the pentair variable speed 3hp pool pump (I'll try and post Amazon link to pump)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007E4VWN...t=&hvlocphy=9031321&hvtargid=pla-310203893213

What I'm unsure of is if I can use 1 38" spillway (9k gph flow rate) or if I need (2) 26" spillways (6k gph flow rate each)

http://www.atlanticwatergardens.com/products/categories/pond-free/fastfalls

The bank that I want to put it on is 22' long and 12' high (head pressure) I will place the pump about 20' from basin so intake side will have about 20' of hose and output side will run about 40' up 12' to spillway

My question is 1) is pump size big enough and 2) what spillway is appropriate for the max amount of water to be moved?

Thanks in advance

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pool pumps can be expensive to run .Also how would you slow it down at night because doing that may burn out pump .Best bet is 2 pumps and turn one off at night ..This way maybe you can get energy efficient pumps .I always use 2 pumps in my pond .1 burns out or has problems there is always a back up ..This way you can run 2 hoses or piping to the top of the waterfall

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Idea like mine outlets with switch's inside would work to control pumps .My son put all my pumps on switched outlets and the switch's are in my master bedroom closet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
It's actually a variable speed pump so I can run at ant RPM's I like. It has 8 preset buttons I can set and program.
I did manage to get an sender to my question. The pump can actually out perform a single spillway at at 9k per hour. The head was actually at 60 because the length of run. It drops to 24 if I run 3" pipe (I'll probably do that anyway) but both the pump and spillway have 2". I can reduce them but water still has to pass thru 2" fitting

Ask a Question