Spillway?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Is there any best length for a spillway to be? I should be running 4000 gph through a 30 inch trough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
If I ever get working on the second pond again, width is something I wonder about. I'm guessing a narrower outlet will make the water come out more forcefully and maybe provide more aeration? A wider spillway will allow the water to come out a little more gently - yes?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If I ever get working on the second pond again, width is something I wonder about. I'm guessing a narrower outlet will make the water come out more forcefully and maybe provide more aeration? A wider spillway will allow the water to come out a little more gently - yes?

Yes - within limits. A too narrow spillway will mean the water could potentially not exit fast enough, causing back up and water loss. There is a formula but that involves MATH so I won't comment on that!

A too wide spillway would be less problematic, but it may not be pleasing to the eye if the water is a trickle when you were hoping for a stream.

Ask a Question