spits out food

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 20" koi that looks healthy, swimming around but when I feed him he takes the food in his mouth then moments later spits it out. He been doing this for a couple of days now!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Could he have something like a piece of gravel stuck in his mouth .Could be he does not like the food .I buy treats and use fresh fruit .My fish love krill and dried shrimp .Just soak it in a little water and they go nuts

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, @Bob Z! Welcome to our group!

I agree with what Sissy said. Why not offer him something different and see if he's interested. How long have you had this particular koi and has he eaten this same food before?

And since you're new, head over to "introductions" and tell us about your pond. We love to see pictures of ponds, so if you have any to share......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@ Bob Z buy some Seachems garlic extract and try soaking your fod in that prior to feeding but only if yor feeding pellets as it wont work on flake .
They seem to be stimulated into eating by it

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
However if sissy is correct have you ever anethatised koi before Bob Z its quite a simple process and once under you'll be able to heck for stones etc.
Another thing that may well be happening is that your koi is shedding a tooth [they are constantly shedding throughout their lives].
So much so that we now have quite a collection of teeth eleven all told so far, both small and large.
If this is the case then after a few days it will have shed and should be back eating propperly again .
The teeth normally find their way into filters where if you are quick enough you can hook thm out.
The teeth on the larger koi look rather human in their appearance and are found at the back of the kois throat where they process food ready for it to pass through the koi's intestine taking out nutrients, protiens,vitamins etc before being passed out into the pond.

Dave

Ask a Question