Splitting a pump's output?

Reaction score
I could have swore I saw a thread that covered this, but I can't find it for the life of me, so here goes...

I currently have two pumps/filters. Both are rated for 1000 gallon ponds, and my pond is just shy of 2000 gallons. I have an assortment of mature lilies, plus a lot of small but quickly growing parrot's feather, water primrose, water willow, and more. My plan is +/- 60% coverage with my plants, assuming my fish don't do too much damage.

Fish...2 koi in the 12-15" range (just got them...obsessed now!), 2 koi in the 4-6" range, 2 comets, 4 shubunkins, and a handful of goldfish. My plan is 4 more small koi that will grow into the pond. As everything gets bigger, I'll gradually move the goldfish to another smaller pond.

My plan is to add a skippy style filter. I'd like to split the output from my main pump (4000 GPH) evenly to the waterfall and the skippy filter.

Will that work? Will I need control valves on each? Or will it evenly split the flow with a 'T' or 'Y' style fitting? I'm thinking it will be path of least resistance, but I'm not sure.

Is that a good idea? Or should I run the output from my in ground pressure/UV into the skippy, then out to the pond? My smaller pump is 750 GPH.

Lastly, I'm installing a skimmer eventually. Need to build a deck around an edge, but the skimmer is next after that.

Thanks.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
its quite easy... this is all you need. you will always get some flow thru the offset of the "T", but, water will want to travel straight thru,(the path of least resistance) the more you close the ball valve the more resistance, so more water is diverted thru the offset connection.
4-9-2013 6;47;17 AM.jpg
a second ballvalve may be installed on the second hose, but it's likely unneccessary.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I just split my 2900 pump outlet , I ran a1 1/2" hose from the pump to skippy, I put a 1 1/2" tee. Just above the pump with a one inch ball valve on the side outlet of the tee for circulation , I was happy with the flow to the skippy so I didn't add a valve at the skippy. The one inch valve is wide open ,good flow on both ends

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 3 pipes coming off one pump and at the end I just use a ball valve to turn the water up or down to each thing I run it to ,One pipe is for my filter one just goes to the waterfall and the other just skims the surface of the pond to help aerate the water .I just adjust each one to what amount of water each thing needs .

Reaction score
Thanks!

Another question...would I be better off running my 750 GPH pump through pressurized UV, then to the skippy, then back? Or splitting the bigger pump?

Ask a Question