Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a submerged pump.

I'm doing some renovations and one of the things I'll do is upgrade the tubing and valves from the pump to the 2 bogs [one bog on either side of the pond]. What I have now is this OASE 3-way valve, but I'm going to switch to flex- PVC tubing, and will use the fittings and valves for that. Right now, I have the valve close to the pump and submerged, so whenever I have to make flow changes it requires pulling the pump & tubing up -- ugh!
image.jpg

So, the plan is to change to a PVC "Y" and ball valves. Also, planning to use threaded fittings and unions wherever needed.
image.jpg

And want to take the ball valves OUT of the pond where I can get to them more easily.

Which is the best placement for the ball valves?
image.jpg

close to the source?

or

image.jpg

close to the end-point [bog]?

Also, do you guys dig holes and bury your tubing/hoses, or do you run them above ground and cover with rocks, etc.? Freezing isn't a problem here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I cover the hose to my filter with a light layer of mulch, as it runs through a garden. The pvc pipes to my water fall are buried under gravel, as they about a stone patio.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
^^^^^ totally agree! I always go for what is easy to reach, take care of when doing piping work.

Ask a Question