Splitting the Fish up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am Going home tonight when I get off and Building a 300 Gallon pond from a 8x10 20mil Liner that I have laying around with a 650GPH pump I had as well. I am splitting my 2 Koi 5 Commons and 1 Sarrasa fish up and putting 3 in the 300 Gallon pond to "semi future proof" my fish to accommodate their size over the next 2 years, will post pics this evening or tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Jason my young fried , just how much room do you have in your garden ?
Why not go the whole hog and still a 1,000 US gallon pond in because all thats going to happen is those koi are going to end up wearing that smaller pond like a Jacket plus you'd be in danger of stunting them .
If your going to do somthing do it propperly spend some bucks buy the best you can get as koi can be very demanding young sir.

rgrds

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Dave 54 said:
Jason my young fried , just how much room do you have in your garden ?
Why not go the whole hog and still a 1,000 US gallon pond in because all thats going to happen is those koi are going to end up wearing that smaller pond like a Jacket plus you'd be in danger of stunting them .
If your going to do somthing do it propperly spend some bucks buy the best you can get as koi can be very demanding young sir.

rgrds

Dave
I agree. One large pond will be MUCH easier to maintain than 2 or more smaller ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I do not have the room to build a Pond that size! I will show pics of my back yard along with my Pond Progress tomorrow and No I am building an in ground pond that will be around 20'' deep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes my friend for now stick to your Goldfish later on in life things will change and then you can keep koi in a much larger property and garden .
Learn all you can about goldfish first it'll help with the transition to koi at a much later date

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Didn't we just go through all this in another thread? Howard, I'd swear I remember you being a part of that thread, so you know he's had the koi less than a week, and you're already calling him a failure who needs to find a better home for his fish? Give the poor kid a chance! He's already got the fish, and he's probably got at least a couple years before they out-grow his current area. At least wait and see if he is able to make good on his plans for the 5000 gallon pond. We did our duty trying to convince him not to get any koi just yet, but sometimes you just can't curb enthusiasm. Now lets try to be supportive and help him out until he has the area available to build a bigger pond. At the very least, having those koi staring at him every day will be a constant reminder to build the new pond when the time comes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have my Uncle's massive under stocked Koi pond I can put them in if it becomes a problem until I get my 5,000 gallon pond built at a new home.

Here is how small my Yard is:

Here are some pics I took this morning before work, let me know any pointers you all can provide! :)
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3062]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3061]

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Shdwdrgn said:
Didn't we just go through all this in another thread? Howard, I'd swear I remember you being a part of that thread, so you know he's had the koi less than a week, and you're already calling him a failure who needs to find a better home for his fish? Give the poor kid a chance! He's already got the fish, and he's probably got at least a couple years before they out-grow his current area. At least wait and see if he is able to make good on his plans for the 5000 gallon pond. We did our duty trying to convince him not to get any koi just yet, but sometimes you just can't curb enthusiasm. Now lets try to be supportive and help him out until he has the area available to build a bigger pond. At the very least, having those koi staring at him every day will be a constant reminder to build the new pond when the time comes.
Yes I was and you totally misrepresented the situation there too.

The problem here is that Jason does not have enough pond to keep koi. They will be too big in months rather then years. It is a lot easier for him to part with them now before he has grown too attached to them and ends up with a dangerouly overcrowded pond.

Jason already said he does not have enough room for a koi pond.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Great video jason
When the time comes you can build the pond up above ground.
As you get older its easier to sit at water level, any way
Grow koi be happy

Ask a Question