spontaneous decision to dig a pond

Reaction score
Hello, The story has it, when my house was built 30 years ago the backyard needed to be raised. In a failed attempt to save some trees a retaining wall was built around before the fill dirt. I've been here 15 years and it's always been an eyesore. So yesterday I got inspired and started digging. Inner dimensions: longest point approx 21 feet long and the widest point 14 feet, currently I'm digging it 2 feet deep. I'm estimating about 3,000 gallons. It's about 100 feet from the house and there isn't electricity and I'm contemplating going without. Does a pond this size really need filtration? Plan to keep mostly plants, and very few fish. Is it important to have various depths? As I said this was all a spontaneous decision, I knew the digging would take me alot of time so there's time for me to plan. Hope the pic works, excuse the mess work halted by rain 994524_477209999031559_1347899693_n.jpg

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Filtration can be done with plants and only have a few fish Gold fish not Koi.

But you will need electrical as you will need some water circulation for oxygen.

Besides once you build it you will get the bug and you will want a waterfall then lights and who knows.
So since you are there run a electric line.

Ruben

Reaction score
If I was going to keep fish in Texas I'd be sure to keep digging deeper. Those fish will boil in 2 feet of water. Looks like an awesome project. I agree with the others that power will be needed or that thing will be messy.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I'm not saying deeper is not better but My pond is only 2 ft. deep in Oklahoma and it's survived (fish also) 114 degrees in the summer and 5 below in the winter.

I wanted to go deeper but it was clay soil and almost impossible to work with.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It would also depend on how much shade or sun the area gets .You have to factor in everything for depth .Mine is over 4 ft and wanted to go deeper but how would I get out of the hole . :cheerful: Deeper is always better for predators .They think twice before drowning .That would also depend on if you have children and have safety concerns .All things to factor in

Ask a Question