Spooked and injured fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
All of my fish except one injured one have been hiding behind the waterfall in my 900 gallon pond for three days now. The injured guy has lost some scales on his sides and is lying/swimming on his side. It may have been a raccoon, I don't know. I wonder how long the fish will hide. I assume they will want to eat again someday. I can't tell if any were taken, because I can't see down in the waterfall center, but I did see some fish in there. I hate it that they've been scared and injured.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear this. Time for a net and short wire fence around the bottom to connect the net to! Keeps herons and raccoons out of mine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My pond is an above ground triangle with two sides against the house and garage. I clean the filters weekly, so I need to get in it. There is a brick wall with a rail across the “open” side to keep the herons from dipping into the pond, although I guess if they’re hungry enough the would stand in the pond and dip.
I’m not able to picture the setup you’ve described. Can you show me a picture? Is your pond in the ground?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
IMG_4325.jpeg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok so my setup would not work for you. Mine is in ground pond and not the cement type. I think what you would have to do is put some kind of extra fencing in front or behind the fence you already have. Maybe find a metal decorative type that won't allow raccoons to squeeze in through.
Maybe something like this but shorter and the same color as your fence. Might keep a heron out also as they need room to fly in there w/their large wingspan. I guess you could wire this to your fence as I don't think you can put it in your foundation:

fence2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ok so my setup would not work for you. Mine is in ground pond and not the cement type. I think what you would have to do is put some kind of extra fencing in front or behind the fence you already have. Maybe find a metal decorative type that won't allow raccoons to squeeze in through.
Maybe something like this but shorter and the same color as your fence. Might keep a heron out also as they need room to fly in there w/their large wingspan. I guess you could wire this to your fence as I don't think you can put it in your foundation:

View attachment 157598
From what I've read, raccoons can climb very well, so I'm not sure the fence would work either. And I don't like how it looks. I'm going to try a radio tuned to a talk station and see how that does. I'm also going to get a camera to see what it is. Thanks for your input and suggestions! I appreciate the time you took to try to help me.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
From what I've read, raccoons can climb very well, so I'm not sure the fence would work either. And I don't like how it looks. I'm going to try a radio tuned to a talk station and see how that does. I'm also going to get a camera to see what it is. Thanks for your input and suggestions! I appreciate the time you took to try to help me.
I tried that exact thing, radio on talk show. Worked for awhile and then the heron got used to it. The fence w/ the net hanging down attached to fence is the only thing that worked for me w/raccoons and heron. Some use that water scarecrow that is motionized to shoot water at them but it will get you or your visitors also and can't use in freezing weather :happy:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Is that your front or back door entrance? If back door you could use an electric wire fixed maybe so it didn't show too much. The raccoons would step on it and get a zap. You can turn it off whenever you want to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I don't think you mentioned the depth of your pond....Do you have a good hiding place (besides the waterfall) ? When predators come to my pond (which isn't netted or fenced) They are unable to catch anything because besides having steep sides I have a fish cave built in at the lowest level. My pond is 2 1/2 feet deep. I have only lost one fish to a watersnake in two years ....I have raccoons, possums, Grand Egrets, herons...You name it...all have tried but have left hungry.....

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think you mentioned the depth of your pond....Do you have a good hiding place (besides the waterfall) ? When predators come to my pond (which isn't netted or fenced) They are unable to catch anything because besides having steep sides I have a fish cave built in at the lowest level. My pond is 2 1/2 feet deep. I have only lost one fish to a watersnake in two years ....I have raccoons, possums, Grand Egrets, herons...You name it...all have tried but have left hungry.....
Same here! Once I added fish caves I stopped losing fish. I put multiple mesh ones on the bottom out in the center so they know where they can get to when they have any fears. They seem so much more confident venturing out and about in the pond now. This is my third summer with fish and they’ve really acclimated and I credit much of it to the fish caves.

Ask a Question