Spooked fish after heron attack

Reaction score
Country
United States
We had 11 goldfish at the end of winter this year, and right after Ice melted at the beginning of March, all the fish had survived the freeze and then a heron shows up. He got 5 the first day. Came back another time when I didn't notice and got 3 more. I had 3 left when I was planning to expand our pond a little and add a few koi. Once I expanded it, and recycled the pond and added the 3 back, I saw him again!! He got one more fish. I tried a decoy heron, but that did absolutely nothing. I then got a motion activated sprinkler, and that seems to have done the trick. I heard it go off several times for a few mornings here and there as I was waking up, just to look outside in time to see him flying away with no fish. I haven't seen him in over 2 weeks now so I've decided to go ahead and add koi and a few more gold fish. Hopefully he knows he can't snack here anymore! However, the 2 original goldfish I have left are still spooked most of the time... sometimes it spooks the koi too just because of the way the goldfish act. They seem to be getting better... I hope... they weren't always this scared...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Could you secure your pond with a net? There are lots of ways to do it and it'll protect your fish from herons.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, I saw I was old after I posted it. I guess I was just sharing my experience. I'm new here, as I guess you noticed :-D

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah, I saw I was old after I posted it. I guess I was just sharing my experience. I'm new here, as I guess you noticed :-D
Welcome to our forum! I moved your post for you

I have a wide weave net over our pond, 4 inch holes hung around 3ish feet over the pond, draping down so the heron can't walk in.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1620580774249.gif
@kpounds81
I have a wide weave net over my pond similar to what @addy1 has and no problems w/the heron since I put it up. Your scarecrow sounds like it is working but keep in mind that it will not work in freezing weather and the heron will be back then. Hopefully you live in a warmer climate where you can use it year round. If not it is netting time at least in the winter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've tried all sorts of deterrents and hasn't helped much.

I've been developing my own smart deterrent, something that would notify me whilst screaming at the heron.

I've attached an example of the detection.

iTStbOE.jpg

Example of my prototype on YouTube

Finally I think I'm winning against the heron!

Thanks

Ask a Question