Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I am sorry if you are a hunter and are offended by this but, killing a living creature of any kind is not a sport. It is simply celebrated killing and nothing more. If you want to hunt animals then by all means go for it. Just don't call it a sport.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Every one I know just calls it Hunting

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No hunter worth his salt would ever refer to what he does as "sport". If you're going to eat it, then hunt it. If need to decorate your den, go to the store and buy a nice painting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sorry - let me amend that to "he or she". I know women who hunt to feed their families, too.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Every one I know just calls it Hunting
Well most do call it hunting but there are also is a set who do it as a sport... After all gladiators were considered "athletes" in their day but now I think we would refer to them as serial murderers

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Most hunters believe they are conservationist and in a way they are right...Although I don't have it in me to go and kill animals since there is a supermarket in my town with any meat that I could ever want, there is a need for hunting. I live in a rural area with black bear and white tail deer everywhere and if there wasn't hunting, coexisting would be impossible. When I purchased my house I knew the circumstances of course. I know the animals were here before me and they will hopefully be here after me, but the reproduction rate is incredibly high with both the bear and deer. The building of housing will never cease as long as humans are allowed to reproduce as much as they want. You can argue well what gives humans the right to reproduce as much as they want and animals can't. Thats up for another discussion but the bottom line is we are at the top of the food chain and thats how it will always be. There is no sense in arguing because the bottom line of the argument will be because it will always be that way. The bear in my area are becoming dependant on finding food in garbage cans from scraps left over by humans. Is it right? No...but hunting controls the population and allows the animals to live in an environment where they can attempt to live in comfort in their own habitat. Like I said earlier in the post hunting isn't my cup of tea and never will be but there certainly is a need for it for the quality of life for both the animals and humans.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Seems like as a man you're supposed to have the hunting instinct built in. I went on a hunt once, just didn't get it? Yeah I get the part about bringing home exotic meat. My high school buddy's father was a fish n game warden and they were avid bird hunters for the meat. Chukar, Quail. Good for them but for me...... Soooo boring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well most do call it hunting but there are also is a set who do it as a sport... After all gladiators were considered "athletes" in their day but now I think we would refer to them as serial murderers
"At risk of getting my head bitten off I'm backing @Marshall on this"........
I agree with you Marshall why is it people have got to go around shooting things and it is known as sport in the UK so Marshall is partially right their.
I detect double standards here we all where up in arms when the American Dentist shot the lion for sport yet when it comes to going into the back woods to hunt for sport everyone is all for it.
I know of a lady who has had badly wounded deer come onto her land with a leg hanging off or its jaw shot away "crap shots" eh, her theorys young inexperianced hunters who maim but not kill and the other that booze is at play consumed by many of the Good old boys on these hunts and that they miss the kill shot through it.
To leave these creatures in such distress is a crime why on earth didnt they at least give it th dignety of a quick death not a slow lingering one .
Why you cant go into the back woods and shoot like RobAmy does with a camera "I dont know why destroy gods creations ?
Isnt it better to use a camera", at least the poor animal gets to live a full life .
Have propper rangers shooting any old or diseased animals just as we do, ever since we banned hunting with dogs .?
My point is this we eat enough meat why go out to kill more .
Look at these American hunting rifles:-

https://www.impactguns.com/hunting-rifles.aspx

Note the recon rifle, the Smith and wessen MP 10 and the Police tactical weapon, what are you planning a war against brair rabbit or are you going to arrest him

Dave

Last edited:

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
The whole "conservation" angle is a little missleading too because let us not forget who makes 150 bucks off of those licences to kill... The forest service. or as I like to call them "second rate animal control"

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Seems like as a man you're supposed to have the hunting instinct built in. I went on a hunt once, just didn't get it? Yeah I get the part about bringing home exotic meat. My high school buddy's father was a fish n game warden and they were avid bird hunters for the meat. Chukar, Quail. Good for them but for me...... Soooo boring.
As a man you should have the survival instinct... should the supermarket close for good then yes something will die. Otherwise I have not the desire nor necessity to kill.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I have been on my large wooded property for 16 years and I have had to "conservationaly kill" all of 3 creatures to conserve my life... Simple as that

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have been on my large wooded property for 16 years and I have had to "conservationaly kill" all of 3 creatures to conserve my life... Simple as that

I will say it again and preface this post with I am not a hunter and never will be unless I have to kill for food during survival situations....But there is a need for hunting. Hunting isn't to conserve your life. Its to conserve the quality of life for the animals. As long as humans reproduce, homes will be built and habitats will be taken away from animals. Hunting is essential to prevent the overcrowding of animals so they can live comfortably in their habitat and have adequate food supply. Imagine if white tail deer reproduced without hunting? There is thousands of car accident every year due to deer running across roads. There would be triple without hunting. You chose to live in a rural wooded area. Should you be blamed for taking away part of a natural habitat for animals? No....we are humans and at the top of the food chain. We need shelter and stores and neighborhoods. As long as there is building there is a need for hunting. Compassion is a great quality to have but don't let it impede logical judgement. Sometimes being over-compassionate does more harm than good and in this case thats the truth. It's starting to happen by me with the black bears. There is a large group of anti-bear hunt people that don't want the hunt to happen. It happens but they don't give out enough tags and they conveniently have the hunt late in the season when the bears aren't as mobile and begin to go to their dens. These bears are relying on garbage cans for food rather than finding natural food sources. Their population is getting extremely large and it's not fair they have to rely on human food scraps for survival.

Last edited:
Reaction score
LOL I love a good controversy.
If you use the argument that we don't need to hunt anymore because the grocery store has plenty of meat, then we have to start examining where that grocery meat came from and the conditions they were raised under. When you start getting into that you'll have to admit that most wild game animals have better lives then captive animals bred for consumption. Admitting that you then you have to question which is crueler hunting or buying meat in the supermarket?
Most "hunters" I know pride themselves on a clean kill and don't like to things suffer. Also they'll exercise a degree of sportsmanship when hunting, but like just about anything else there are rotten apples in every crowd, and there are inexperienced people who'll go for the long shot that might end up only wounding an animal that allows it to run away so they can't finish it off cleanly.
If it's the word sport that you have a problem with then how about "sport" fishing? or sports car racing? or sports in general? Surely if we took all the billions of dollars spent and wasted on sports like soccer, football, hockey, etc,,, and put it towards constructive things like feeding hungry children finding a cure for cancer, or developing clean energy, our world would be much better off.

I don't hunt (anymore), but I do eat meat, and I carry a little shame in that I buy meat in the supermarket and doing so support that industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question