Spots on Lotus Leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of my lotus leaves has a bunch of white foggy spots on it and I don’t know what it is, nor what to do about it. Those spots have been there since 2-3 weeks ago and none of the other leaves have it, except for the leaf next to it that has a small spot or two
F3C79050-1DD4-4A09-B06F-87941EAE95D1.jpeg
52FCA298-CC47-4F83-975A-37D9D0DA9B56.jpeg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It looks like powdery mildew but have never seen it on a lotus. Any chance a chemical got sprayed on the leaves?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like powdery mildew but have never seen it on a lotus. Any chance a chemical got sprayed on the leaves?
None that I'm aware of, unless it carried over from a neighbor. Do you think the white powdery spots are a cause for concern? Should I remove that leaf or is there a way to treat it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lotuses do occasionally get powdery mildew. While I've never had it on lotus leaves, I've had it on peonies and lilacs and phlox. To treat it, I use a spray bottle with water, a few tablespoons of baking soda and a few drops of dish soap. Spray the leaves until they are dripping. You have to repeat it every few days. Essentially you are creating an environment on the leaves where the fungus cannot grow by altering the pH.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lotuses do occasionally get powdery mildew. While I've never had it on lotus leaves, I've had it on peonies and lilacs and phlox. To treat it, I use a spray bottle with water, a few tablespoons of baking soda and a few drops of dish soap. Spray the leaves until they are dripping. You have to repeat it every few days. Essentially you are creating an environment on the leaves where the fungus cannot grow by altering the pH.
I don't have any baking soda on me, but there's apparently a treatment for the fungus that uses a water + milk solution. Do you think either treatment would be safe for the lotus?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's the good thing about natural treatments - they may not work, but they also won't hurt anything. I"ve never tried the milk one, but it surely can't hurt to try!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Definitely seemed more like mildew than dried hard water. The only water than I ever have fall on the leaves are from the rain. But the spots stopped spreading after a bit and mostly just turned into darkened yellow spots

Ask a Question