Spring cleaning is it really necessary every year?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would assume my cleaning routine is a lot different than most pond owners since it's a completely above ground pond, but I usually take the big flat box prefilter out and rinse all the media (mechanical and biological) in a bucket of old pond water then stick it all back in and start it up again. I do this a few times a year, but more often if/when I notice the flow of the water back into the pond from the bog filter/box has slowed down a lot.

I would say to go ahead and do your usual maintenance like normal, if you start skipping years it might get harder to remember when you last cleaned everything out. Routine is definitely a good thing when maintenance is concerned.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I'm curious to know how that works out for you!
I'm currently using a shop vac, it does a good job, but it's a pain to have to stop and empty the dirty water every other minute.... so I'll definitely purchase this vac
https://www.amazon.com/Pondovac-Vac...pID=51CsdFmWmbL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
(or similar) in the near future, that way I can vacuum continuously, while returning the water to the pond
I have a pond vac 3 that I have used for quite a few years now and like it. My pond is probably about 8,000 gallons.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Routine is definitely a good thing when maintenance is concerned.

Unfortunately you will learn that some people are following routines that are not only unnecessary, but detrimental to a healthy pond - for example, completely emptying the pond and power washing the rocks and then putting it all back together again, ending up with new pond syndrome year after year after year. So sometimes doing something just because it's been your routine is the worst reason to keep doing something!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Unfortunately you will learn that some people are following routines that are not only unnecessary, but detrimental to a healthy pond - for example, completely emptying the pond and power washing the rocks and then putting it all back together again, ending up with new pond syndrome year after year after year. So sometimes doing something just because it's been your routine is the worst reason to keep doing something!

I agree of course! You want to make sure your routine is beneficial and necessary before you repeatedly do it. I just meant once you have the necessary and beneficial routine in place it doesn’t hurt to continue as usual so you don’t get off track, so to speak.

Reaction score
And yet the backbone of one of the biggest pond companies in North America relies on these routine cleanings to support it's business.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
And yet the backbone of one of the biggest pond companies in North America relies on these routine cleanings to support it's business.

I know. It's a sad fact. I cringe every time I get an email from our local pond companies (we're lucky and have several near by) offering to come and clean my pond. I get it - repeat business is the bread and butter of many businesses, and once you've had a pond built it may be awhile before you expand or build again so they're looking for something to keep the cash flow going. And then you fill that pond back up again and get yourself a nice algae bloom going, which leads to the "need" for more additives... The auto doser is the new big thing - adding bacteria automatically. And they'll even come and fill the doser for you. I just wish they would teach the full eco-pond concept.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I usually clean my filters a couple of times a year.....but should more often [a couple of spitters with filter boxes and Skippy, oh and the “turtle bog”]. I also try to clean the bottom at least in the spring and fall — recently got a Pondovac, which does an incredible job! My biggest issue is that I don’t have good mechanical filtration and that bugs me. My water parameters are always WNL.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I made the mistake of putting goldfish in my pond and they bred like crazy last year. I want to get them out, along with a few koi. I'm afraid my only option is to drain the pond this spring. I really don't want to, but I have no idea how else I could catch them all.

Ask a Question