Spring Cleanup Killed Fish

Reaction score
Good day
I used Aquascape Ecoblast directly on algae (waterfall and pond rocks) after draining the pond. I put the fish in a large garbage can I use solely for this purpose using pond water. I then refilled the pond using tap water and an water conditioner to remove the chlorine. After refilling the pond I skimmed the floating algae, then added microbe-lift. The next morning I added Interpret Pond Balance.

To my dismay, when checking the pond filter, all of my fish were dead.

Any ideas? Did I do too much at once and shocked them?

Thanks for your reply.

Regards

Peter

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
when did you put the fish in??? That day? How long after you filled with tap did you add the fish? Did you test the water before you put the fish back? Was the temp the same as the bucket they were in??

There is a LOT more to water parameters that just chlorine.

You probably did clean too much.. You removed all of the beneficial bacteria from the waterfall.. most waterfalls to a LOT for pond balance.. cleaning them is almost as bad as putting in new filter media.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss.

My first though is what were you thinking? Why all those chemicals? How many of these are found in a natural pond?

Ponds are not swimming pools or decorative fountains, They don't need deep cleaning and all those chemicals.

The last post touched on some of the things to be doing, temperature, beneficail bacteria, testing etc. I also use trash cans and 55 gallon barrels lined with a new plastic bag. That way I know the water they are in is safe from contamination.

I have done 100% water changes without losing a single fish. The only chemical I added was dechlor which is Sodium Thiosulphide.

The lack of beneficail bacteria would not kill them overnight, it takes a week to 10 days before the nitrates rise to dangerous levels.

Were these Koi?

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. Yes I was foolish. I had done this before with no loss of fish however several factors may have come together all at once. The container I used to put the fish in probably warmed up the water and thus the difference in temperature was too great (even though I have done this before - this time this just after the winter when their systems could still be slowed down and "weak"). I didn't test the water. I did use a lot of EcoBlast and maybe I uncovered an amonia pocket. I did use water treatment additive which does couteract a number of water's elements.
Yes there were some KOI and fair sized too. I had them for 4 years, right through frozen winters and never lost one. I had previously done everything I just did but not right after winter. I suppose I was very lucky before.

Live and Learn. Thanks for your comments and time.
Regards
Peter

Ask a Question