Spring Cleanup

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
Canada
I'm not much for doing a drain/refill, but we've always had a population of goldfish mixed with our Koi and they are impossible to catch and they reproduce so often. We decided to drain the pond this year and do some cleaning, as well as use the opportunity to catch all the goldfish which are being re-homed.

It was a lot of work, but not as much as I thought it was going to be. We net our pond in the Autumn to stop leaves but wow was there still a lot of dead vegetation on the bottom! Damn Maple tree helicopters!

We saved most of the water and probably ended up doing about a 1/3 water change in the process. Happy with the results. There's always something you can be fiddling with when it comes to ponds and honestly I kind of enjoy it.

Looking forward to the Summer months.

IMG_7409.JPG

EFFECTS(1).jpg

62D8D640-454C-47FC-A5F2-7E113A577902.JPG

Small vid of the fish... https://photos.app.goo.gl/13KsnyR6GsBLw5Wt5

Wammy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm not much for doing a drain/refill, but we've always had a population of goldfish mixed with our Koi and they are impossible to catch and they reproduce so often. We decided to drain the pond this year and do some cleaning, as well as use the opportunity to catch all the goldfish which are being re-homed.

It was a lot of work, but not as much as I thought it was going to be. We net our pond in the Autumn to stop leaves but wow was there still a lot of dead vegetation on the bottom! Damn Maple tree helicopters!

We saved most of the water and probably ended up doing about a 1/3 water change in the process. Happy with the results. There's always something you can be fiddling with when it comes to ponds and honestly I kind of enjoy it.

Looking forward to the Summer months.

View attachment 127271
View attachment 127272
View attachment 127273

Small vid of the fish... https://photos.app.goo.gl/13KsnyR6GsBLw5Wt5

Wammy
Cool looking pond and yard, where are you in the world. Im looking to get some plants and want to learn about them. I saw some plants in your pond, what are they and which do you like best?

Thanks,
Wayne

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
Canada
Cool looking pond and yard, where are you in the world. Im looking to get some plants and want to learn about them. I saw some plants in your pond, what are they and which do you like best?

Thanks,
Wayne

Thanks Wayne!

I'm in Brantford Ontario. The perennial plants we have are Iris and some cat-tails. These are planted along the side and they do well in some plastic baskets filled with gravel. We cut them down in the late fall and they regrow each Spring.

We also have pond Lilies planted in the round containers which we also cut in late Spring and sink them to the bottom to over-Winter.

For annuals, the last couple of years we usually get some water-lettuce and water-hyacinth which are just surface plants. They tend to reproduce well and by late Summer we're thinning them out and either giving the extras away or composting them.

They're all great for helping keep the pond clean and provide the fish with some shade from the warmer Summer days.

It'll be interesting to see if our regular supplier will be ready with pond plants this year because this Covid-19 thing really has put a spin on everything.

Wammy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put the window screening across my pond because of those helicopters .

Ask a Question