spring flowers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by addy1, Apr 13, 2011.

1. addy1

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

some spring flowers

Attached Files:

addy1, Apr 13, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. addy1

first bog bloom

Attached Files:

addy1, Apr 13, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Lots of nice color w/ all the bulbs. Our tulips aren't blooming here yet. We had a cold set back and Spring sprang a leak........more rain and chilly today again :bouncycig:
    I like your cool wagon wheel........I've got an old metal one :cool:

j.w, Apr 13, 2011
  4. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

The yellow one looks kinda like a geranium on the leaves..........real purdy :bouncycig:

j.w, Apr 13, 2011
  5. addy1

The wagon wheel is part of a bench, all made out of old wagons. We just have not put them back together yet. Each end has a wheel This is it set up at my arizona house,

Attached Files:

addy1, Apr 13, 2011
  6. addy1

stroppy stroppy

looking lovely addy .... i use to have the yellow flower cant remember its name but its like a buttercup only for water it grew massive in a very short time and love your seat :0)

stroppy, Apr 13, 2011
  7. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Oh yes you gotta put those seats back together....they are really cool. Guess you have to stop them from rolling while you sit in them tho or you might roll yourself all the way down to the bottom of the hill and end up in w/ the fishes like.............tee hee,...........Malak :alieneyesa:

j.w, Apr 13, 2011
  8. addy1

lol jw for sure, they have little stand type things, that you put under the wheels, ie flat so they will not roll or move. They are really nice we have just not had a "place" to put them now do

addy1, Apr 13, 2011
  9. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Looks like one could easily make those out of any old wheels. Might have to see what dear DH has to say about making some. He would prolly want to make them out of steel tho as he's a steel driving man. Might be rather warm on your butt tho in the hot summer sun........or just use a cushion :alieneyesa:

j.w, Apr 13, 2011
  10. addy1

i can send you some close ups if you would like to see, pretty simple design

addy1, Apr 13, 2011
  11. addy1

talal101

i just planted some dahlias a couple days ago and a couple of the pots have an inch long sprout so im excited, i got the mixed variety and it is always exciting to see what will come out of each bulb..but just a quick question:
    i have some friends who have dahlias that they leave in the ground and they grow back the next year and some who take them out before winter and plant them the next year, which is better? and also how do you divide dahlias?
    thankjs

talal101, Apr 13, 2011
  12. addy1

They are not hardy and die if it freezes, is your friend in canada? Mine died that i left in the ground we are 6b-7 zone.

addy1, Apr 13, 2011
  13. addy1

mrsclem mrsclem

I grew dahlias for years and dug them up in the fall after a freeze. You let them dry out and seperate each little root. They look like sweet potatoes. I have some that do come back every year but they are up against the house and in well drained soil so that might have something to do with it.

mrsclem, Apr 13, 2011
  14. addy1

I had some against the house and they died, but I think we are a little colder than you are mrsclem, the last ones i pulled and dried, now need to get butt in gear and put back in the ground

addy1, Apr 13, 2011
  15. addy1

talal101

Yes they actually live a couple kilometres away too so I'm just kind of wondering what is going on, I'm pretty sure they have the same kind of dahlia as me too and it gets really cold here so I don't know I may just take them out just incase, mrsclem you said that I take the roof out and divide it, I'm wondering how so? I bought a couple bags from walmart and they appear to look like a stick with a bunch of little potatoes attached, are these the seeds? And if so why do they sell them as a six pack if it is possible to just take them apart and get like 50 plants and also I plan on planting the dahlias near the pond, is that a bad idea? Liner pond btw

talal101, Apr 14, 2011
  16. addy1

mrsclem mrsclem

The roots can be divided but the more you break them apart, the smaller the new plant will be. The potato part is the actual root and you can usually see what looks like an eye on a potato (sprout). That is the new growth. There are several stores that sell bags of the tubers, check Lowes. If you do decide to winter them over, dig them up, let them dry and then keep them in peat moss in a cool dark place till spring. I always divided mine in the spring as it was easier to see where the new sprouts were. They do not tolerate wet soil as the tubers will rot. Also, depending on the variety, if you get the dinner plate type, pinch off all flower buds but one per stem to get really HUGE flowers.

mrsclem, Apr 14, 2011
  17. addy1

sissy sissy

hot cross buns then jw:lol::lol:eek:ne for each bun and what kind of tulips are those with the odd leaves .look at that buns and two lips in one wow :bowdown::lol::lol:

sissy, Apr 14, 2011
  18. addy1

talal101

thanks mrsclem im going to wait a year first before i start to seperate them

talal101, Apr 15, 2011
  19. addy1

The one group of tulips have just stopped blooming and two other groups are starting..........and sorry mrsclem, no clue why but the deer are ignoring them so far. Even have some out by the road they like to walk down.

Attached Files:

addy1, Apr 21, 2011
  20. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Nice assortment of blooms you got going there addy. Never seen the striped leaves ones before and they are cool :rolleyes:

j.w, Apr 21, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question