Spring frogs return

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I think the big guy is a bull frog and the other two are green frogs? The big one is McDermott, I think he is a permanent resident.

Attachments

• MickeyDee.JPG
    MickeyDee.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 376
  • MickeyDee2.JPG
    MickeyDee2.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 363
  • Twins.JPG
    Twins.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 319
  • Two of Two.JPG
    Two of Two.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 414
Reaction score
nice pictures, ours are starting to appear also...grandsons were here the other weekend and caught their first of the season. Thanks for sharing

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Actually the two smaller ones are just juvenile bullfrogs or leopard frogs that haven't colored up yet. Not tree frogs.
Our orchestra was really loud earlier. We went out to eat a fresh black berry cobble Grown right from the back yard, first batch this year! MMMM and ice cream and watched the new koi, You can really tell how loud they are when you try and listen to us talk at the end, we were right by the Camera, the frogs were all around.

[ame]

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The little guy has been around for a few weeks, the big guys just showed up. I think they are maryland green frogs. The first two are sharing a small pond,He was getting bathed as I tested my water fall foaming, still working on that in the stream. Have to make sure I don't foam a frog lol. The last one has the big pond to itself, well maybe a few fish too.

Deep croak

Nice frogs mouseams, love to see and hear them

Attachments

• DSC01202.jpg
    DSC01202.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC01204.jpg
    DSC01204.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 291
  • DSC01205.jpg
    DSC01205.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 278
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Yes, Addy, those are green frogs, just like the two in my pic. You can tell by the ridge line running dowwn the back. I had a pickerel frog last year, I'll find the pic and post it later. Fishin, those are some noisy croakers ya got there! Very jealous of the cobbler!

Reaction score
I agree the 2 small ones in mouseams pic are american green frogs...very common...have them by the dozens in the ponds in the summer. Leopard frogs are more limey green with very distinct spots. we have both here, and pickerel's which resemble leopards

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Wow, I see in Addy's pic they are different. Those look like Juvenile Bullfrogs from here. I have yet to get a leopard frog, or pickerel frog show up here at this pond. I bought some tadpoles last fall that I thought might be leopard or pickerel frogs, No luck they look a lot like the Green frogs as ya'll call them. But They wintered over in the bog Garden and I'm just seeing them starting to sit on the lilies, they are still skittish so I haven't gotten pics yet. Not real sure what they are yet as those pics now have me wondering. usually by the time they get as big as the one in Mary's pond they seem to move on. Or the owl got them and I didn't know they were being taken.:twisted: Oh and the Cobbler was very good! I'll be picking blackberries every day from here on until they are done, last year we ended up picking about 20 quart bags full and freezing them, this year looks like maybe 10-15 bags will develop. But they are big and sweet and wild and tart. that's what makes them soooo good with ice cream. Mmmm even sounds good for breakfast with some hazelnut coffee and a pond break. BRB! :regular_waving_emot

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had gotten tadpoles for my arizona pond, neat little frogs, loved to watch them. My husband at the time went and caught a bull frog.............well the cute little ones were dinner

Reaction score
Mouseams, that first frog looks huge in the picture. I love all the frog pics. Doesn't anyone have problems with toads or is it just me? I have caught and relocated 12 Fowler toads so far this year. I love toads but not the gazillion eggs they lay. The frogs can stay but I had thousands of toad tadpoles last year so I started catching toads and moving them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a ton of toads, they eat a ton of bugs, so I leave them be. I had to keep chasing them out from under the liner when we were doing the pond. They have not come out of hiding yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I didn't know that toads made tadpoles, I thought only frogs! That's a new one on me. Very interesting. One year here in IL, there were thousands of baby toads in the yard everywhere. I hate to hit them with the mower, so was constantly stopping to let them hop out of the way. :) I had to put a board in one window well so they could climb out. Usually 15-20 of them in there. I can get all the bullfrog tadpoles from my pasture pond! Anyone that's interested that lives close is welcome to come get all they want! Saw them out there a week or so ago. :) I don't let anyone gig (harvest) the frogs from my pond. I love to hear the bullfrogs in the evenings. And, around here anyhow, they only croak during mating season, then they are pretty quiet the rest of the year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Nova said:
Mouseams, that first frog looks huge in the picture. I love all the frog pics. Doesn't anyone have problems with toads or is it just me? I have caught and relocated 12 Fowler toads so far this year. I love toads but not the gazillion eggs they lay. The frogs can stay but I had thousands of toad tadpoles last year so I started catching toads and moving them.

He is getting HUGE! He has to be a good 4 inches when he is tucked in. The first year here we had a pair of toads turn our pond into their own private honeymoon suite! I saw the eggs, they are like a long, clear coil. Later that summer I went to mow the lawn, never having seen any of the "toadlets" until suddenly in front of the mower they were popping all over. Haven't seen any since.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
As promised, here are some pics of last year's frogs.

Attachments

• DSC_6729.JPG
    DSC_6729.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_6730.JPG
    DSC_6730.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC_6742-1.JPG
    DSC_6742-1.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC_6748.JPG
    DSC_6748.JPG