Spring Help?!

Reaction score
Hi! My husband and I purchased our lovely new home approximately 2 years ago - quite excited especially when the sellers told us "Oh it doesn't get too wet here.". Hmmph! Well, should have know better since we are in a bit of a known swamp area - ha, ha! Our fault - yes, I know! Trying to work right now with a natural spring that has water in the backyard to the point where cattails grow...thoughts on digging down and then making it into more of a secluded serenity area, bog garde, willow tree or would it work to fill in with topsoil, etc?

Mind you, I'm a beginner so be kind...looking for ideas and also eye-appealing. I will try to post pics in a few days...it really is in the middle of the yard. Few trees next to it but now grown, no shade. A field was growing behind it but we brush hogged last year to cut down on bugs, etc.

I'll save the pond, the flooding , and much more for another day...thanks for any advice you might have?!

Thanks Again!

Cattail Cathleen : )

Reaction score
Welcome Cattail, unfortunately I don't know how to advise you but am pretty sure someone will be along to try and advise you. But the bog garden and willow sound nice.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are some really pretty bog plants you could put into a garden there. Post some pictures when you can, it helps us to visualize how to help you.

and
Welcome-Daisy-Bug.gif
to our group

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
frog-1-1.jpg
Cathleen
Sounds like if you were to dig down a bit you'd have yourself a ready made pond. Does it all dry up in the summer when it gets really hot?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you've got the potential for a gorgeous garden :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and the only thing you need to watch out for are mosquitos and willows well they are great with sucking up water there roots can go all over and even destroy a foundation of a home or cause problems with water lines underground or septic systems .I have 3 curly willows and they are planted at the outer most area of my property to keep them from causing problems .I would research bog plants that would be the easiest .Shame you could not take advantage of the natural spring and build a stream for it from rock and that way you could direct the flow of the water ,free water feature people would pay big money for that set up .No pumps no hassle feature .

Ask a Question