Spring is here - ready to learn

Jkm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5-6
Country
United States
I posted a lot last fall (2018) about my new large goldfish pond which, over the summer, became the “pond of death” because of stupid newbie mistakes. Through the winter (north Idaho) we ran the waterfall and skimmer and below-surface input, but not the bottom drain, with a deicer in the skimmer and another deicer and shallow aerator at the entrance to the skimmer. No fish. A bit of ammonia added in the fall to boost biofilter growth (thanks, MitchM).

All looks good, water is crystal clear, good layer of winter algae waiting to be eaten, and temp at the drain (5’ deep) is up to 50 degrees. Time to plant and add fish.

My plan is to add a half-dozen colorful large 4”-5” comets and a half-dozen rosy red fathead minnows, as large as I can get them, as per MitchM’s advice.

I’d like advice on:
1) when shall I begin planting and adding fish?
2) what plants would be best for a north Idaho goldfish pond? I want to order and plant them full grown.
3) where can I order just a half-dozen rosy red minnows? Most places raise them as baitfish and sell them by the pound (hundreds).
4) I’ve read good things about Montmorillonite clay; shall i begin adding that, and how do you add it? Do you sprinkle it on the surface, or shake it up in a jar of water and pour the slurry in?

That’s all my questions for now. I appreciate everyone’s advice; I want to do it right this time (it broke my heart to inadvertently/stupidly kill all my fish last summer).

Pond setup:
10,000 gallons, 20’x25’x5’ at the bottom drain, Ultima ll filter/biofilter, koi toilet drain with aeration, Savio skimmer, waterfall and subsurface water returns, overbuilt for a goldfish pond.

Julia

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A garden center will give you an idea about plants and what kind are good for your area .The clay I add just to the water ,not fussy at adding .It clouds the water and in a couple of hours it buffers the water and it clears up .Adding plants when they are young gives the plant a better way to adapt to the water .Get a thermometer for your pond .Pool ones work great .Get some crushed oyster shells ,they are even sold in walmart now as chicken grit .Have an API liquid test kit ready to go

Jkm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5-6
Country
United States
Thanks. At what temperature can I add fish? 55? 60? now (50)? They are cold water fish but I don't want to shock them if it's too early.
And should I wait until the pond is planted to add them?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you need to make sure the water temperature is consistent .I would wait until it stays at over 60 degrees for a week and that will dend on what shade and sun it gets .Where are the fish being kept when you buy them makes a difference .Some fish places keep them inside and some out side .To help with ammonia plants would help ,any kind are good ,I even used hostas .Make sure you clean the roots well of any plant because they can carry some bad stuff in the roots .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you buy your minnow as bait, be sure to quarantine them. A tank or kiddie pool full of pond water with a tank filter and or air line will work. I personally dose with melafix if thinking of adding them to the pond. Same goes for goldfish if you buy the feeders. I’ve got some really pretty ones from what was feeders, the offspring are prettier than the parents were!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
If you buy your minnow as bait, be sure to quarantine them. A tank or kiddie pool full of pond water with a tank filter and or air line will work. I personally dose with melafix if thinking of adding them to the pond. Same goes for goldfish if you buy the feeders. I’ve got some really pretty ones from what was feeders, the offspring are prettier than the parents were!
This is so true! My population has doubled. Only two of my fish were purchased from a pond store. The rest were feeders. The original 10 fish went up to 24. (Now down to 20, for mysterious nature reasons. Cat? Raccoon?). It has been so interesting to see the babies grow larger. Some have glorious long tails. The markings on some are beautiful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don’t have decent pics of mine, I need to take some. I’ve got three of my original feeders, a solid white common male, and two orange comet, one with a lovely white tail, then the various offspring, of which I’ve got only about two dozen from last year. Then a dozen feeder quality, which I don’t want. I’m looking to selectively breed mine to very nice quality, cross them with my shubinkin, of which I have two now. I want long fins and nice colors. I’m pretty sure the two comets are a male and female, and one female shubinkin, so I’ll try crossing her with the white male first.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ve got a small one from last year that’s white with the very tip of its tail in orange. That one is now in with the shubinkin to grow out more.
A9B2BEC5-9B03-4D1A-8750-210A0BFBE571.jpeg
23DA784B-A266-4CDB-ADF8-FE15DAF60597.jpeg
The big one in the bottom pic is one of my original feeders. She’s my main momma, has nice babies.

Jkm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5-6
Country
United States
I don’t know where to buy the rosy red fatheads locally, even as bait. I found them online by the pound, but I only need a half dozen to start. Here in north Idaho, land of fishing, there ought to be someplace that has them, but where would I look?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don’t know where to buy the rosy red fatheads locally, even as bait. I found them online by the pound, but I only need a half dozen to start. Here in north Idaho, land of fishing, there ought to be someplace that has them, but where would I look?
Talk to the local fishermen, and small town bait shops. Or maybe a local big box pet store will have some. I don’t go to big box pet stores often, there’s too much I’d want to take home with me, and I try not to support them. I try to shop local, and from individuals who’ve raised their animals humanly instead of mass market. I’d look online to see if there’s a webpage you can find that does sell them by quantity but you’ll be paying sway more on shipping than the fish would cost.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen them at PetSmart, it has been years since I have been in one of those stores.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I think I'll end up needing to go to a big box pet store, too. I've been looking for rosy red minnows online and having the same problem as Jkm!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Just visited our local PetSmart. Pathetic looking fish. One poor health shubunkin. No minnows. So sad. Guess I will be visiting the real pond store just north of me.

Ask a Question