Spring pond care

Reaction score
Winter is almost over in some parts of the country. Koi and goldfish are becoming more active but don't rush into feeding them until the water temp is at least 55 degrees. Doing a good clean out in the Spring will make the whole season go smoother. Failing to remove the gunk from the winter give algae head start. I found this article http://www.richdeer3pondsupplies.com/site/1566246/page/938981 Spring pond care which reminds us all how important getting a head start on the season is.

I bring all my fancies in over the winter and enjoy watching them in my indoor pond. I'm also quarantining new fish until warmer weather. I love pouring over water lily and iris descriptions while trying to pick out new additions for this season. It's a great way to spend a snow day.

I can't wait for Spring, Gail

shikkaba

Not Just Another Number
Reaction score
Shouldn't you quarantining new fish for a few weeks in the first place, and not just because it's the spring? Or is that only if you get them from a place where you're not sure if they're healthy or not?

Reaction score
I do quarantine my fish regardless of the season. I have bought serveral new ones this winter but they don't go in with my other ones for at least a month. So I wasn't clear about that. I can't wait for the ponds thaw out!

Reaction score
I do quarantine my fish regardless of the season. I have bought serveral new ones this winter but they don't go in with my other ones for at least a month. So I wasn't clear about that. I can't wait for the ponds thaw out!

You don't need to quarantine your fishes. If cold weather is effect on your koi than simple cover your pond with green tarpaulin. Its effective and useful for making the temperature hot.

clm

Reaction score
jessjane said:
You don't need to quarantine your fishes. If cold weather is effect on your koi than simple cover your pond with green tarpaulin. Its effective and useful for making the temperature hot.

You most certainly do need to quarantine any new fish from any source, why on earth would you tell someone not to. Please be careful about the statements you make.

Cindy

Reaction score
I agree that you must quarantine all new fish regardless of the season. If possible I recommend that people have a small pond or quarantine tank available at all time in case of injury, illness or you just can't resist that new fish. Having it setup makes it faster to treat them. A small pond that you can filter separate will be almost identical to the main pond.

I'm enjoying having the fancies in a stock tank over the winter that I may leave some inside all year round. I've got the stock tank covered in burlap with house plants all around. I hang a shop light over the water for the plants. Wish I had a photo to post.

We have a ton of snow on the pond. I found a perfect screen for the pond plus a heater, pump and aeration pump so almost all the surface is clear this year. Even see them moving on the warmer days. What only 6-8 more weeks till Spring. Stay warm, Gail

Reaction score
Spring always makes me nervous in case we get a cold snap (we often do in late February we even had a little snow last March!) My Dad always says spring starts when you find the Frogs heading back to the water - you can't beat Mother Nature

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
we've had snow on easter! michigan weather stinks, we can have 30* temperature changes from one day to the next in spring. 65 and sunny to snow flurrys the next day.

Reaction score
i guess that im lucky that here in SoCal the only thing i have to worry about is warming up and scooping a bunch of leaves out of the pond during Santa Anas

Ask a Question