Spring Pond Cleaning Question

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
My pond is usually drained for a thorough Pondvac and manual debris removal. This year my lily pads are already growing like crazy with one plant putting out its first bloom. Additionally there's more mature and young Gambusia's than ever. I'm concerned that a full pond drain may hurt the two Lily Pad plants and make it too difficult to catch the mosquito fish. Yes I know they are easily replaced but it's so great to have the pond so well populated. There is quite a bit of decayed leaf and twig debris on the bottom and there are stones to be repositioned.

Would minimal water drain and through manual debris removal suffice? Your thoughts please.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Why would you want to keep Gambusia, which in most states is classified as invasive or nuisance? They are cannibalistic. The will eat eggs and fry/hatchlings of any aquatic animal. They completely disrupt an eco-system. They add unnecessary and useless biomass to a pond. I would eliminate them completely. Your pond will be the better for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't know about Gambusia, but am thinking you could lower your pond water for an effective cleaning , provided it's not so dirty it needs a complete cleaning. I lowered my pond to catch and re-home koi fry and was pleased with what I netted out. I didn't have to totally drain the pond and therefore, left my four adult koi in the pond.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Good question Meyer. Gambusia's are an outstanding mosquito deterrent. North Texas has been one of the hardest hit Nile Virus areas in the country. Pond owners are required to use mosquito donuts and encouraged to have Gamusia's or like high volume mosquito larvae eating fish. That is why they are in our pond. Since we do not have other fish the problem with them eating eggs and fry is mute.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Good question Meyer. Gambusia's are an outstanding mosquito deterrent. North Texas has been one of the hardest hit Nile Virus areas in the country. Pond owners are required to use mosquito donuts and encouraged to have Gamusia's or like high volume mosquito larvae eating fish. That is why they are in our pond. Since we do not have other fish the problem with them eating eggs and fry is mute.

Interesting that possession of these fish is encouraged in Texas This from the 'Fishes of Texas' website espouses the opposite view.
"Species has been widely introduced throughout the world for mosquito control (Hubbs et al.1991); however stocking of Gambusia affinis in American southwest has extirpated many rare, localized populations of native species (Lee and Burgess 1980); Meffe (1984) reported that mosquitofish effectively eliminated the Sonoran topminnow (Poeciliopsis occidentalis) in1-3 years, in some Arizona habitats; G. affinis has been instrumental in the elimination of
native populations of Poeciliopsis occidentalis in New Mexico (Sublette et al. 1990). According to Courtenay and Meffe (1989) utilization of this species in mosquito control is ineffective; further, as a result of predation on eggs, larvae and juveniles, their introductions world-wide (except on the continent of Antaractica) have negatively impacted native fishes by significantly reducing or eliminating populations. Courtenay and Meffe (1989) suggest that this species is too aggressive and predatory to warrant indiscriminate introduction throughout the world, and support a biologically appropriate and warranted ban of its use as a control agent; this thought being documented experimentally by Lydeardand Belk (1993) and Belk and Lydeard (1994)."
http://www.fishesoftexas.org/taxon/gambusia-affinis/

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you for the very eye opening information. It makes me wonder why the Dallas County Health Department encouraged the stocking of Gambusia's.

You are not alone. I also wonder. Our local County Extension office will supply them for free. All you have to do is pick them up. Sadly, many of these government employees don't have the knowledge to make some decisions. They actually don't realize that Goldfish and Koi will eat mosquito larvae at a much higher level than Gambusia.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
In answer to your original question about cleaning your pond, I have NEVER drained my ponds completely. You are messing with the eco system by doing so. You can net most of what you need out of there, sounds like, and if the algae is bothering you, use something to clean the sides (after draining pond part way down) like what Sissy uses ... peroxide. If you have plants, don't let much of it get into the water. If you use a sponge and wipe the algae on the sides, it will die. You can then wipe it off. Voila, no more algae. And, since it grows mainly in the top 10" or so, you will be rid of that.
Lou, if what is said above is true, why not stock goldfish, and let them eat the mosquito larvae? I NEVER see mosquito larvae in my ponds, and I have no mosquito fish. :) Pros - you get to choose colors, even from the little tiny feeder goldfish, and then enjoy looking at them wayyyy more than the mosquito fish. Cons ... they will grow larger than the mosquito fish. However, based on the size of your pond, they will not outgrow what available space they are provided, or so they say. Goldfish are cheap, too, and much more pleasing to the eye. But, beware ... once you get to the store to "choose" your "babies", you may come home with more than you planned. They are addicting, and once you LOOK at the feeder tank, you realize you are saving those kids from death. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can tell you this - it will not hurt your lilies to pull them out and drop them in a bucket of water for a day or two if necessary. We've bought water lilies that had 30-40 pads on them that were in just enough water to cover the pot. They were fine.

Ask a Question