Spring start up do a partial water change

Reaction score
If you live in the North and your pond is just waking up then give your pond some clean fresh water. Do a partial change and clean out whatever has blown into the pond over the last 6 months. Some will argue that it will " kill the good bacteria" but all the good bacteria in the world won't help a dirty pond. Think of the pond as a very large fishbowl. If you have ever had a fishbowl and didn't change the water every now and then you know what happens. New water will give back all that has been depleted and dilute the bad stuff that has built up over the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, I'm gonna do a partial water change. Pond is 1500 gallons and I'll usually do about a 300 gallon partial change. I'm just waiting for things to warm up a little more here in northeastern PA.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I did about a 33% water change over the past evening. Thanks to a leak.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I never do a water change, but if it rains the pond does get a water change over. I have gutter water going into the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Already did mine. And left the bait quality fish in a separate container so I can give them away. I need to do water changes on my aquariums, but I’ve caught the crud and lack any energy for that. I’ve got another dr appointment Thursday, he’s had to reschedule the previous two due to him being sick and then an emergency, so hopefully I’ll get to see the dr this time to request meds.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
In Spring and every now and then maybe in Summer I will allow the same amount of well water in from my hose and the same amount out from a small pump. We do get rain here but not enough at a time to do a nice purge. Been doing this for many, many years w/no issues to the fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hope you get well soon @JamieB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I flush my 100 gallon veggie filter at the beginning of the season but wouldn't really consider that a water change since pond is 2500 gal . Rain water will fill the pond until the summer than just topping off as needed. As long as nitrates are in normal range not sure why a water change for a pond is necessary

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Never do an intentional water change on my pond, but we do water from the pond all summer. I pump water out with my little sump pump to water my hanging baskets and potted plants and then refill the pond with clean water. I figure everyone gets what they need that way!

Ask a Question