Spring start up reading

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi all. this is the first spring for my pond and I was wondering if you had any articles I could read on what I should do. My pond is 22 ft x 11 ft x 3 ft deep. Also I need to purschase a pond vacuum and would like some advise. I read that Pond Mosta is good but they are about $350. I also read that Oase Pondovac is also good. Any recommendations would be great! Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and most here just use a swimming pool net as it is much cheaper and easy to use .You could try it first with the net to see what happens and it has to be slow if you have a lot built up and filters should be cleaned first and then net the bottom and then clean filters again .You need a good water test kit and bacteria to get your filters going after clean out .Not sure how many fish you have and what size

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Congrats on your first spring.

Most important to is check all your plumbing for leaks. Once everything is turned on make sure everything seems okay, do not just turn it on and walk away.

I use a pond vacuum but like Sissy said a net works very good and I do 95% of my cleanings just with nets during the season. I only use the vacuum twice to three times a year, once in the spring, sometimes in the summer, but most important the fall cleaning. I use the vacuum to clean out filters on the waterfall and skimmer box (setup without bottom drains). I also have a skimmer so this assist greatly in stopping things before they go to the bottom of the pond. I use the Oase Pondvac and really like it. I found one on Craig's list very cheap. Be careful with vacuums, they are strong and can suck up the little creatures in the pond, my pond is usually very clear so I can see the bottom and I also go right into the pond even with the vacuum so my feet will move/scare most things out of the path of the vacuum (not saying I have not sucked anything up, I am sure I have) but try hard not too.

Net out all the big stuff first if you have a lot from the fall/winter. Check the debris for tadpoles, sometimes they can catch a ride.

I leave my water running during the pond vacuuming, it uses a lot of water. However I am on a well, if your not then use caution and use Dechlorinator

I clean or replace all my filter pads

I check all my electrical stuff too after winter. Lighting, cables, pumps etc

Do not rush to feed your fish, once my pond is running it is about 4 weeks before I feed depending on the season. I am Zone 6A also, but this depends more on water temp then time of year. (50-55 degrees)

Spring is a great time to get those plants in shape also depending on what you have.

Also check out all your fish and make sure they are healthy

Then sit back and enjoy the ponding season :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I have a skimming net woth it's weight in gold ,
I have a bottom drain fitted so winter fall out not a problem I also run a surface skimmer,
these were number one on the new pond build,
but for the past 11 years I used the pump on the bottom of thd pond and every sprind had to deal with the clean up ,
but the skimming net is a must have I wouldn't be without one,
even in the summer with nothing to do I get the old net out and spend half an hour skimming no reason ( makes the wife thnk im hard at it )
Withna cold beer the sun beating down and skimming netmin hand pure heaven

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use a pool leaf net works great, good size to collect stuff in. I have thought of getting a vaccum but don't want to suck up the snail, dragon fly larvae and everything else that calls my pond a home. I can't easily walk in it to scare the critters away.

I do a good netting job, in the spring and in the fall (after the leaves fall) usually don't get that much stuff out of the pond.

I am not quite as detailed at Rob and Amy, usually just pull the pump out of the basement, hook it up, plug it in, done for start up. Then sometime down the road might do a net job if it needs it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My spring start up - wait for a sunny day to finally melt the last of the ice off the pond, walk out the back door and say "hello pond! Nice to see you again!"

Ha! We run our pond all winter, so there really isn't anything we need to do in the spring to start things up. I'll get out there at some point and clean out the leaves that found their way to the bottom over winter and cut back some of the dead plants that I left standing in the fall but that's about it. When it's a bit warmer I'll move the plants that are in pots from the bottom of the pond to the shelves. Mostly I'll just stare at my fish and marvel at their growth over winter - how do they DO that??

BTW - I'm really not a lazy gardener - I've learned it's wise to leave the plants that will remaining upright all winter (reeds, cattails, stiff grasses, etc) in place until the spring. They really do a great job keeping leaves and debris from blowing into the pond during the winter months. And the leaves that collect around the base of the plant helps to keep them insulated from the harsh winter chill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Welcome and most here just use a swimming pool net as it is much cheaper and easy to use .You could try it first with the net to see what happens and it has to be slow if you have a lot built up and filters should be cleaned first and then net the bottom and then clean filters again .You need a good water test kit and bacteria to get your filters going after clean out .Not sure how many fish you have and what size
Thanks. I have about 40 fish. My pond was netted the entire fal and winter and it is still netted. i was very careful to remove all leaves last summer before the net went up so there is not much debris. I have a rock bottom and there seems to be some muck on the botton so I didn't know if I had to clean that up. i have cleaned my biofalls, falls and filters and have done one 1/3 water change. Som,e of my fish came down with ICH in late fall. To cold to treat so I added salt which seemed to help. Sjould I put more salt in as we do water changes? Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Congrats on your first spring.

Most important to is check all your plumbing for leaks. Once everything is turned on make sure everything seems okay, do not just turn it on and walk away.

I use a pond vacuum but like Sissy said a net works very good and I do 95% of my cleanings just with nets during the season. I only use the vacuum twice to three times a year, once in the spring, sometimes in the summer, but most important the fall cleaning. I use the vacuum to clean out filters on the waterfall and skimmer box (setup without bottom drains). I also have a skimmer so this assist greatly in stopping things before they go to the bottom of the pond. I use the Oase Pondvac and really like it. I found one on Craig's list very cheap. Be careful with vacuums, they are strong and can suck up the little creatures in the pond, my pond is usually very clear so I can see the bottom and I also go right into the pond even with the vacuum so my feet will move/scare most things out of the path of the vacuum (not saying I have not sucked anything up, I am sure I have) but try hard not too.

Net out all the big stuff first if you have a lot from the fall/winter. Check the debris for tadpoles, sometimes they can catch a ride.

I leave my water running during the pond vacuuming, it uses a lot of water. However I am on a well, if your not then use caution and use Dechlorinator

I clean or replace all my filter pads

I check all my electrical stuff too after winter. Lighting, cables, pumps etc

Do not rush to feed your fish, once my pond is running it is about 4 weeks before I feed depending on the season. I am Zone 6A also, but this depends more on water temp then time of year. (50-55 degrees)

Spring is a great time to get those plants in shape also depending on what you have.

Also check out all your fish and make sure they are healthy

Then sit back and enjoy the ponding season :)
Thanks. I guess I'm on the right track because I've done most of all of this. Not a lot of debris bc the pond was netted all fall and winter. There is some muck at the bottom which i was wondering if I should vacuum up. What are your thoughts on salt?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Most do a small amount of salt .I keep mine low because plants don't like salt in my waterfall filter and waterfall pond .Right now it is at 01 percent I think .I have to check with the meter again .I think there is a lot of debate on salt and koi .I have read lots on it some say it is bad and others say a trace is normal and helps fish .I guess this will be up to you as there are lots of pro's and con's .I have not added salt to my pond for almost a year .I put some in when I rebuilt it before fish went in ..I did take my salt meter down to a creek across the road and it shows about the same amount of salt in there as in my pond .I just added koi clay and I add 2 tablespoons a week .I always forget to mention I add that .It adds minerals to the pond and helps with fish health .I just asked pond digger on that because I was told to add it when I bought the fish 11 years ago .I think it also helps with algae even though they cannot say that it does .But I do know natural minerals are in all bodies of water .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Most do a small amount of salt .I keep mine low because plants don't like salt in my waterfall filter and waterfall pond .Right now it is at 01 percent I think .I have to check with the meter again .I think there is a lot of debate on salt and koi .I have read lots on it some say it is bad and others say a trace is normal and helps fish .I guess this will be up to you as there are lots of pro's and con's .I have not added salt to my pond for almost a year .I put some in when I rebuilt it before fish went in ..I did take my salt meter down to a creek across the road and it shows about the same amount of salt in there as in my pond .I just added koi clay and I add 2 tablespoons a week .I always forget to mention I add that .It adds minerals to the pond and helps with fish health .I just asked pond digger on that because I was told to add it when I bought the fish 11 years ago .I think it also helps with algae even though they cannot say that it does .But I do know natural minerals are in all bodies of water .
Okay. thanks. Never heard of koi clay but will research it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I ordered the free books from all the pet selling places online .They also have online info .I used to buy dry krill for my fish and soak it and the smell would get to me plus it is expensive .The new food has krill and garlic in it to help them feed and fight off disease from the winter season .It is not expensive like other foods and does not have fillers in it .pet solutions and now dr foster and smith sells it also

Attachments

• pet solutions 2014 005.JPG
    pet solutions 2014 005.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 215

Ask a Question