Spring start up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
So I hope to be starting up the pump soon. I didn't want to start it too early as the water temps are still pretty cold.
I have air bubblers going. Added a couple more stones and have been trying to get most of the leaves out of the bottom of the pond. Its hard to do as I have 4 Lillie pots and a couple others on the bottom in different areas. Water is clear but cold.
I guess my question is, should the first thing I should be doing is a water change? If so, how much? This will be my first spring start up!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For me spring start up is to pull out any leaves etc, install the pump, turn it on. I do test the water if it is ok, I do not do a water change. Our well water is so acidic, it is actually worse to do a water change than to leave the water alone. Usually in the spring the water is just fine.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
plenty of rain and melting snow to have done water changes all winter .Here i don't turn my pumps off .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have mine running right now, even with them running some of the pond is freezing, but the water fall is staying ice free. I won't take the chance over winter leaving it running being an external pump.

Reaction score
I would base your decision on when to turn the pump on on the weather forecast. As soon as you are sure your pump, lines, and filter will not freeze up and empty the pond, net out as much debris as you can and then turn it on. You want the benificial bacteria that convert ammonia and nitrite into nitrate to come to life just as your fish are coming to life and beginning to create ammonia. It will take a while for those bacteria to colonize, which is why I say turn the filters on ASAP. Regarding the water change, you should test your water to see what the ammonia and nitrate levels are. You do not want any ammonia in the pond, and ideally nitrates stay under 40, in my opinion. Other people will say things like under 100 is fine etc but I prefer 40. If you are over these levels, I would suggest a partial water change. One thing to remember when doing a water change is water temperature. If your water is 33 degrees and you are filling it with 70 degree tap water, that is quite a difference. You do not want to warm the water up too fast, as it is stressful for the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thanks guys for the info.
I have not yet done any water tests yet. My feeling was to wait till my fish are getting a little more active as I'm not sure they would appreciate the extra water movement while the water is so cold. So may wait a week or 2 more. Temps in the 40's for highs right now.
Will check the water this week.
I did not do a water change before winter so I guess it is worrying me that it hasn't been done.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Check the temp of the water itself bottom and top and all you would need to do it at this time is just a regular thermometer with a weight on the bottom .I always check my water temps and record them .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That seem to be a tell all of how soon your fish will start to wake up and start getting frisky .;)no peeping :)Mine went up because of all those warm days to almost 45 degrees and now is around 30 degrees today .Now temps here are going back up to 50's and 60's again .The sun is on my pond most of the day and also close to my septic tank which makes it warmer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
So at what temp do they start getting active and frisky? We had a couple of warmer days last week and they were swimming around a little more and even saw a little interest in chasing which surprised me.

Reaction score
When there is sunshine getting to the water, my fish come to the top. They have been getting active recently although half the pond is still covered in ice that is thick enough I was able to stand on it. It has been in the single digits at night but during the day it has been 30 and sunny. After being in a dark pond that is nearly iced over all Winter, I imagine it's just the warmth and light from the Sun that brings them up. Water temp still 33.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I look for water temps in the 40 degree mark for my fish to get frisky but I never start feeding until water temps are 55 degrees .But seems this winter temps have been going and down so much and water temps are doing the same .Plus freezing rain and other factors add to the mix .This year also I am rebuilding my pond so well water is different temps also

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Will keep a check on my pond temps. Temps only mid 40s air temp so need more sunshine! Still need to get out some leaves.
It has been very windy last couple days and more leaves have blown in. :mad:

Ask a Question