Spring Start up

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
We finally have some warm days, I had to replace 1 valve that froze and cracked that fed one of my drums, got it replaced yesterday , Then i finished cleaning leaves around the pond that blew in through winter
Today i need to clean the leaves around my filters and i will be good to go
It feels good to have it running full speed again.
:helm2: I Hope the worst is over

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
not so warm here, but still have my cover on over the pond and water has stayed a steady 50 so feeding the fish lightly a couple of times a week ...plants even seem to be growing under there and filters are working as my water tests were fine ... but no idea when spring will reach these cold and wet shores !!

Reaction score
Still under 50 degrees in my pond, so I am holding off on adding fish. I still have some more things to do around the pond, so that's not a bad thing. Plenty of landscaping work and I need to get my electrical run completed so I am not running of an extension cord the whole year... :helm2:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Pond temps as of yesterday was 61.2F. It takes me about one second to go from winter to summer mode or I should say about 1 hour and 1 second.:yikesu:
1 second to turn the valve from pond return to waterfall return and 1 hour to take down my winter cover,

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It was a false warm up ...its cold again
I did get the yard cleaned good &
The city picked up all my tree trimmings
you cant hold the sun back much longer the heat cant be to far away

Reaction score
Water is fluctuating between 52 and 58 the last couple weeks. Pond pump running again, feeding the fish a couple of times a week. Plan to resume daily feeding once the water hits and stays above 60.

Lilies are sending up new pads, and even have flower buds heading up already. Marsh marigold is taking off, as is forget-me-not and another plant who's name I've forgotten at the moment (tall with red flowers). My one canna, a tropical I decided to try and winter outside, is sending up it's first shoots. No sign of the other canna I left out or the taro I left out yet. Crinum Lily is growing like crazy, and creeping jenny and parrot feather are starting to take off. Moneywort never even slowed down all winter really. Cattails are coming back. No sign of life yet from the iris or pickerel weed. I've got a couple plants I wintered over in the garage that I've got to take back out now that the risk of frost has passed.

I put out a handful of salvina that I'd wintered over in one of my tanks today. Hopefully it takes off and provides some cover for the fish so they don't catch the eye of any herons.

Now I have to get hubby to finish the upper pond for me. I'd planned to do it myself, but ended up getting pregnant (very happy!), so no climbing around for me! Once that's done, I can finish the gardening out there (there will be a bog garden) and should be all set for summer :lol:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sounds like you're doing a nice job w/ all your plants and even keeping some over the winter indoors. I've tried to keep some tropical floaters but I should have kept them in an aquarium w/ some heat cuz just sitting in a container by a south window wasn't enough to keep them going. Oh well back to the drawing board for next time.

preggers.gif

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
chiligirl...sounds like your fish arent the only good swimmers around there..LOL....congratulations on your new upcoming family member and may the lord bless you and yours.

Reaction score
Congrats to you!

We're in the same boat... sort of. My wife is due in just over a month, so she just has creative input on our pond and landscape and I do all the heavy lifting and scrambling around.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Babies popping up every were
you all make me feel old
Congrats Chillgirl

Ask a Question