Square 50 gallon rain barrel as diy filter

Reaction score
Will this work for a doc filter? It is 50 gallons (pond is approx. 1000 gallons). Got the new laguna 4200. It doesn't seems as powerful as the old one but will be much cheaper to run! I found the picture of the rain barrel on northern tool. It has a short hose for the output. Would I plumb it the same as the doc filter? The outlet is much smaller.

276474.jpg

Reaction score
So keep the bottom hole the size it is as a drain to clean out the bottom, drill a new 2" hole for the output and leave the small hole on the top to run in the water. Is the bottom hole big enough for a cleanout? Can I use 1" pvc to run water in as we have stuff left over from plumbing our house.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would make the drain and the return 2"
Your 1" inlet will be OK
You could use 2" shower drains instead of bulk heads to come out of the filter

Reaction score
The bad part about making a diy filter is that I won't be able to use it to feed my old hand pump. It also won't work to feed the big rock for my falls as that's about 4 feet off the ground. When I was a kid we used that hand pump to water cows in our barn until plumbing got ran to it. Luckily we didn't have that many cows! I really liked seeing it have water flowing out of it again.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Raise the filter up on blocks so gravity can feed what you want
I have 3 of my drum tops 6ft off the ground
It will make your pump work again

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lakesuperiorgirl said:
I suppose the only thing it does is add some oxygen as the water drops about 2-3' into the pond and create a churning action in that area. It's more the idea of it.

Nice use of an old hand pump, post a picture if you have one. I am sure you will figure out a way to incorporate it with the new filter box. I would not give up on it.

Reaction score
It would be difficult to raise the box and disguise it. It will be hard to disguise it now. I don't want to run a separate pump as I just purchased a Laguna pump due to electric bill going up $90 last month. Here is a picture:

1_hand_pump.jpg
1_pond.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice pond, love the hand pump. I would keep it in the set up! Can you bury the rain barrel a little?, but that might cause problems with cleaning and draining it.

Ask a Question