Square concrete water garden/pond

Discussion in 'Newbies to Garden Ponds' started by PGG, May 5, 2016.

1. PGG

PGG

Hello. I am just forming up a 6' x 6' x 2' water garden/pond with 5" concrete walls which receives its water from a 4' x 4' x 2' pond directly above. This is to take advantage of a spring that has historically drained into the soil. The slab and walls are substantially reinforced with 1/2" rebar. Once the pond fills it will need a means to outlet/overflow. I was considering putting a 3" schedule 40 pipe through wall at the downstream end of the 6x6 pond at the base where the wall contacts the slab. Then attach 3" tee with a pipe going to the surface from the vertical hub for controlling overflow, and a removable clean out plug on the hub at the base to drain the pond.

Question: As a newbie relative to pond design and maintenance, does this design for controlling overflow and complete pond drainage for maintenance make sense?

Thank you

PGG, May 5, 2016
    barryian and Meyer Jordan like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. PGG

Smaug God makes perfect. I just dug the hole

Makes sense to me.

Smaug, May 5, 2016
    1. Advertisements

3. PGG

mgmine

Where is the overflow going to end up?