SQUIRRELS IN THE ATTIC -- REMOVAL & RELOCATION?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We apparently have squirrels that have taken up residence in our attic! After doing some research, have decided that the best method to get rid of them will be to hire a "removal & relocation" service, then have all/any access routes closed up. I read all the "home remedies," and some of them might even work. But right now, with the cold weather upon us, I'm thinking that it's going to be hard to convince any warm-blooded critter to leave our cozy attic-nest. And, too, apparently this is the time of year when they have babies, so if we "take care of" Mom, we've gotta get all her kiddos, too. And I'm not into the idea of poisons.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem [or know of someone who has], what you did about it, and what were the results.

We know that ultimately, AFTER we remove the squirrels, the biggest thing is deterring them from ever getting in, again! I just hope they haven't done much damage up there!

image.jpgimage.jpg
Our cat, Abby, likes to sleep on our headboard. This was her reaction to hearing the activity above her head.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
problems are the bacteria they leave behind in there feces and urine it is dangerous to inhale .They chew all kinds of wiring also .All insulation may need removed and if you have trees close to the house they will have to be removed or trimmed back .There access will have to be closed off .All your insulation may need to be removed the smell will bring them back

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Ugh…..we once had squirrels in our attic in a former home. Mama and her babies were comfortably ensconced and it wasn't easy getting them out. We bought thick hardware screen and put it up in triple thickness when they left the attic and cut back all tree branches. Boy was mama mad, she tried and tried to get back in….and I'm surprised she didn't succeed.

We were shocked at the amount of damage they'd done in our attic:( If she'd been successful getting back in, we would have hired a trapper.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We haven't gone upstairs to look, yet -- almost afraid to, but it's gotta be done! If this Mom has new babies, she might be fairly easy to trap, if we can find her nest. But then, pretty sure it's not just one mom & babies. That would be too easy!

We know a guy (from Scouts) who is a professional wildlife "remover." Ironically, he trapped & removed a family of squirrels from our next-door neighbor's attic over the summer. It was interesting to talk to him & watch him work!

Have looked around from the outside and I can't see an obvious point of entry. With our neighbors, the squirrels had actually chewed through the wood under shingles to get inside, but you could see it. My fear is that we won't find and/or be able to close up all their access points!!!

And Sissy, thanks for the tree advice! We do have 2 trees that touch the house & roof. One of those can go (now I can justify it to Hubby), but the other one I'd prefer to trim back, if that will help things.

Guess I'll call about it. But tomorrow starts the foundation repair work and not sure I can handle both -- but it's gotta be done!!! Darn squirrels! And darn sloppy clay foundation!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You definitely need to deal with this one ASAP. Most homeowners insurance will not cover damage caused by rodents. And the damage they can do is remarkable! Good luck!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
read about the dangers on the internet about inhaling the feces and stuff and the lung problems it can cause .It is in the air of the house even though they are in the attic as they have access to the interior walls of the house .Plus the danger of fires from them chewing wires .Don't risk your home and life please .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
And like we all did not know that already Haro :LOL: :luxlove: But we still love you

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, to be honest, I've been telling Hubby for some time that "I think there are critters in the attic!" He thought I had bats in my belfry -- until he finally heard for himself!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I feel your pain, having a squirrel problem on top of foundation work….we too have numerous projects going on….hoping they're wrapped up by the first of the year! Too much $ on nothing fun:(

Hoping you can find someone to help you with these squirrels….they need to spend the holidays elsewhere!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I managed to brave the cold and visit the attic this afternoon. Except for a few boxes that had fallen over (brittle plastic that broke and no longer supported what was sitting on it), there really wasn't anything that stood out as "a critter was here." There were a few spots that had a few dried up little turds, but they looked more like rat leavings. Still gonna call someone to come out for an inspection, though, just to be on the safe side.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, that is good news. When we had them in our attic, there was an obvious nest and the mother was staring us down!!!! Scared me to death! Kim

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you have insulation they will bury there nest down in it ..Every once in awhile I put boxes of moth balls in my attic .It helps keep them or mice away .

Ask a Question