stain or no stain?

springknee

1000 gal pond 2200gph pump
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Here's the question. We added a wood fence to give the pond a more finished look do I stain it to match the deck or leave it as is?
20140419_151923.jpg

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No stain. I am actually getting ready to replace my fence b/c we stained it and no longer like it as it has begun fading and chipping off. Now my fence has become a constant maintenance issue so I my advice is go for the natural look. Besides it fits in with your house.

Reaction score
Hey nice set up you have there. I personally do not like staining or painting a deck near a decorative pond because I think it takes the focal point off the pond and landscaping. Maybe you could convince her to paint it the same color as the house?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I had to look twice to see the fence you were inquiring about, where as the stained deck and railing pops out. If you don't want to feature the fence,leave it natural. However......happy wife, makes for a happy life ! LOL

Reaction score
I had to look twice to see the fence you were inquiring about, where as the stained deck and railing pops out. If you don't want to feature the fence,leave it natural. However......happy wife, makes for a happy life ! LOL

Very smart answer! Lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Stain? No stain? I'd get some mirror cut to match the fence shape and affix them so that when you look at the fence, it'll double the size of your pond...probably a lot cheaper and less strenuous than digging one larger, too!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Solid stain works well on vertical surfaces, however on horizontal surfaces it has a tendency to "bubble" over time due to water/snow sitting on the surface.

If you must stain, use a penetrating semi-clear stain (Cetol, Sikkens, Australian Wood Oil).

Most old stains can be removed using a 2500psi pressure washer which saves having to rent a large floor sander.

Don't use a pin nozzle, you can amputate a toe with a pin nozzle at 2500psi.

The new trend now is composite decking, which never requires staining or the new Wolmanized pressure treated products that have been stained cedar.

As an aside, don't use the scraps of pressure-treated lumber to burn in your indoor fireplace, the pressure treating process uses toxics to discourage insects.

Ask a Question