Stained Glass feature

Reaction score
My partner is making a stained glass panel with our intention to float it in the surface of the pond.
My question is: would the lead in the panel affect the fish in anyway?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I am not sure how long it would take to harm the fish with lead. I would not do it. My wife does stained glass and she tells me there are some non lead solders but they are not easy to work with.

I would not put the glass in contact with the water. It effectively makes the pond surface smaller, less air water gas exchange area. And the work of art will soon be covered with algae.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
may heat up the water also and you will have cooked fish ,not good .Plus flux i would worry about and breakage .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Blackdog salvage is not far from me and took at stained glass windows and a lot of the solder and stuff was eaten away by rains .

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
sissy said:
Blackdog salvage is not far from me and took at stained glass windows and a lot of the solder and stuff was eaten away by rains .
One of the last steps in making a stained glass window is working a grout into the solder joints to keep the glass from rattling. As the grout ages it wants to fall out. I expect that the old windows lost their grout rather then the solder. If this is the case they could be salvaged by re grouting. You may be looking at some bargains if the glass has not fallen out.

Just an educated guess.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
this was from an old church and some of the old lead was used and acid rain ate some of it away .I have been to black dog before it was on the diy and hgtv channels

Ask a Question