Stand alone bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Y’all are a very bad influence on me! Now I want a bog, of course. I don’t want to hook up with my raised pond/grow beds, but there is a spot in our little back yard that has clear standing water for a day or two after a heavy summer rain. Last summer we had so much rain that we put a boardwalk across it to access the garden shed and christened it Mary’s bayou. Im imagining pitcher plants, sundew, water orchids and others you can suggest. How would I prepare the area for planting, and ensure that I can keep it moist when ma nature doesn’t cooperate? I’m in NW Florida, zone 8b, very sandy soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice, but I'm off to google "water orchids"! Good luck with your project.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nope but I have them and love them to death. Permanent color all throughout the seasons . I'm on my phone can't get a photo linked up but below this post go to my showcase then just scroll down a little . And way down is how it was made

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1 Pitcher  island (100 of 1).jpg
carni (100 of 1).jpg
pitcher island(103 of 4).jpg
pitcher plants (100 of 1)-2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I saw some of these pitcher plants at the garden center today. How do you have them growing, GBBUDD? Looks like in gravel with the crown just above the surface? Did you retain any soil? Or just shake off the dirt and nestle in the gravel? Those pictures are so beautiful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My google research has come up with two main styles. The first is a two foot deep pit with a pond liner. Poke holes in the liner (where, how many?), fill with peat/sand mix, add water. The second is the same pit and pond liner, no holes, drain to a sump, sump pump recirculates back to bog. Thoughts?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I saw some of these pitcher plants at the garden center today. How do you have them growing, GBBUDD? Looks like in gravel with the crown just above the surface? Did you retain any soil? Or just shake off the dirt and nestle in the gravel? Those pictures are so beautiful!
50 % COURSE SAND not beach sand 50% peat moss. mixed together 4 to 6 inches,ontop of 2" of water at the bottom with gravel in the water elevating the sand and peat so the water will be absorbed and keep the mixture constantly wet. but not soup.
I trim the damaged tubes in the spring one inch from the base , other than that very very easy to care for. and constant color. i should add that you need to make an overflow so that the water stays a constant and does not flood out the soil. many pitchers can actually grow just in the water floating but not the most efficient. My pond has a constant water level and that's where the peat sand starts

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
50 % COURSE SAND not beach sand 50% peat moss. mixed together 4 to 6 inches,ontop of 2" of water at the bottom with gravel in the water elevating the sand and peat so the water will be absorbed and keep the mixture constantly wet. but not soup.
I trim the damaged tubes in the spring one inch from the base , other than that very very easy to care for. and constant color
Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i should add that you need to make an overflow so that the water stays a constant and does not flood out the soil. many pitchers can actually grow just in the water floating but not the most efficient. My pond has a constant water level and that's where the peat sand starts
@bagsmom

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
My google research has come up with two main styles. The first is a two foot deep pit with a pond liner. Poke holes in the liner (where, how many?), fill with peat/sand mix, add water. The second is the same pit and pond liner, no holes, drain to a sump, sump pump recirculates back to bog. Thoughts?
I believe the first kind is probably what you are most interested in, since you say you don't want to hook it up to a pond. It sounds like the bog garden with the punctured liner is what you are after! All those plants you mentioned above sound fantastic! I think if you don't have a pond, adding a pump would be pointless.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sounds like constant work . the way i described they grow you trim them in the spring they grow some more no watering to nothing but enjoy them there roots sure don't grow 2 feet so that seems way crazy

Ask a Question