Standard vs. Butterfly

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry for my ignorance, but which is worth more: a standard koi or a butterfly koi? Any other differences I should know about? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The standard koi dependant on how much you have paid for it and what Japanese breeder it comes from are the ones that have more monetary value but in saying that you dont have to spend a fortuune to get a half tidy koi .
Butterfly koi I cant really help you with as we brits shun them and they arent recognised in the British koi keepers Society however the Accociated koi clubs of America do recognise them giving them their very own class

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think that's a question with no answer. A fish is worth what someone is willing to pay. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just my opinion though! Koi experts?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The standard koi dependant on how much you have paid for it and what Japanese breeder it comes from are the ones that have more monetary value but in saying that you dont have to spend a fortuune to get a half tidy koi .
Butterfly koi I cant really help you with as we brits shun them and they arent recognised in the British koi keepers Society however the Accociated koi clubs of America do recognise them giving them their very own class

Dave
So what you're saying is the standard are more valued?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The standard koi have more in the way of monitary value yes but buying expensive koi unless you have extremely deep pockets , I wouldnt recomend basically we are 28 years into the hobby and know what we like to buy yes we have one or two expensive ones but the vast majority are cheaper expensive to us is anything above £200

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I follow another forum dedicated to koi and never see butterfly koi. I personally think they are beautiful, just what I've observed on the other forum.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think that's a question with no answer. A fish is worth what someone is willing to pay. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just my opinion though! Koi experts?

I have to lean towards this assessment. The asking prices a Koi for is determined by grade, body confirmation, color pattern, lineage among others. There is, however, no guarantee that the expensive Koi, such as the $290+ fish that Dave mentions, is any healthier than the $10 fish available at your local pond dealer. Something that should certainly be considered. If you are not planning on participating in Koi Shows, there is no justification to spend that much money on a single fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I'm interested in potentially breeding butterfly (and I particularly like shusui), but I want to actually make some money. I'm wondering if I might have more luck with standard. Is there a size difference?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have to lean towards this assessment. The asking prices a Koi for is determined by grade, body confirmation, color pattern, lineage among others. There is, however, no guarantee that the expensive Koi, such as the $290+ fish that Dave mentions, is any healthier than the $10 fish available at your local pond dealer. Something that should certainly be considered. If you are not planning on participating in Koi Shows, there is no justification to spend that much money on a single fish.
Meyer I totally agree and some of our cheaper koi have done consistantly well at shows over the last 23 years of showing with eigh bits of glassware prizes so far and Hundereds of 1st and second placings
Lisak1 is part right in her accessment but it is down to the person buying the koi and the depth of that persons wallet to boot

Dave

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think that's a question with no answer. A fish is worth what someone is willing to pay. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just my opinion though!

That's how I feel too. I see fish that are very expensive, like $1000 expensive, and to be honest they often look so plain to me. Some of my $8 fish have looked more interesting and unique.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Jenny, if you are wanting to buy koi to raise, then buy what YOU like! After all, if you buy what you think others will like, and you don't exactly care for it, you won't promote it. I have a personal like of tri-colored koi. When people come to see my fish, which ones do they end up saying they like the best? Yep, my tri colored Lucy (the red-head). That's because it's the one that is the most colorful and pretty ... IMO. If you want to raise butterflies, then buy only butterflies. I personally prefer the butterfly koi, too. But, as someone tried to tell me, and I didn't listen at the time and now wish I would have, pick and choose special fish, don't buy a bunch all at once. And, keep in mind ... unless you plan to remove the eggs and put them in a separate container for hatching, after a few years and more koi in your pond, you may have no babies at all. I have 4 babies that have survived in my koi pond, and not one baby in the last 2 years. (I need more hiding places and plants for them, I think.) I have about 25 koi, and they range in size from 8"-20". Good luck, and HAVE FUN!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jenny, if you are wanting to buy koi to raise, then buy what YOU like! After all, if you buy what you think others will like, and you don't exactly care for it, you won't promote it. I have a personal like of tri-colored koi. When people come to see my fish, which ones do they end up saying they like the best? Yep, my tri colored Lucy (the red-head). That's because it's the one that is the most colorful and pretty ... IMO. If you want to raise butterflies, then buy only butterflies. I personally prefer the butterfly koi, too. But, as someone tried to tell me, and I didn't listen at the time and now wish I would have, pick and choose special fish, don't buy a bunch all at once. And, keep in mind ... unless you plan to remove the eggs and put them in a separate container for hatching, after a few years and more koi in your pond, you may have no babies at all. I have 4 babies that have survived in my koi pond, and not one baby in the last 2 years. (I need more hiding places and plants for them, I think.) I have about 25 koi, and they range in size from 8"-20". Good luck, and HAVE FUN!!!

Thanks for your advice. I really am partial to the Shusui Butterfly, so I think I'll go for it. So, if I have hiding places and fry nets, I'll have more success? I think I'll probably have a separate pond for raising babies. Like, I'll have the mates in one pond, they'll lay the eggs, the eggs will hatch, then I'll move the fry to a separate pond. Does that sound ok? I guess I'll also have to cull, though I hate the idea...Any particular methods you recommend? :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I don't raise fry, first of all, so I am far from any type of expert in that regard. I bought my first fish from a guy that raised fry. He had his pond, put his male and female together that he wanted to breed, maybe had a section of the pond for secluding them. Then, when the eggs were laid, and the male fertilized them, he removed the eggs (I think he had an egg "mop" for the female to lay the eggs on), and put them in a 55 gal barrel that he had an aerator going and plants like anarachis in there for the fry to hide. There is special food that you have to raise (like brine shrimp) for the fry until they can eat small koi food. It's a long process, so do lots of research before you dive in, so you are ready. What you don't want to do is spend a bunch of money, and then realize it's far more work than you want to mess with. Good luck!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I do not raise koi but the butterfly koi are my favorites. My most expensive koi is $28. I love the long following fins, they just keep getting better looking with age. I have seen some beautiful koi and goldfish (on this forum too) but the butterfly always draws me in.

Reaction score
Well I'm interested in potentially breeding butterfly (and I particularly like shusui), but I want to actually make some money. I'm wondering if I might have more luck with standard. Is there a size difference?

The preschool my youngest goes to has a lovely koi pond, they have only butterfly koi. The fish spawned a while back and now they have a pond full of gorgeous butterfly koi. All butterfly with beautiful long flowing fins.

Ask a Question